Instead of studying their notes at the library or getting some sleep, members of the Michigan Club Baseball team spend their nights honing their skills inside Oosterbaan Field House.

The Wolverine Club squad’s dozen or so returning veterans are shaking off the rust with tryouts slated for Sunday, and the senior-laden team looks to gain some depth in the middle infield and on the mound. After taking home the 2006 Great Lakes North Conference title and following it up with a pair of sub par campaigns, the Wolverines hope to regain their conference supremacy.

Co-President Alex Gavern described last year as a rebuilding year. The team lost just two players to graduation and now has eight seniors returning for one last hurrah.

The pitching corps will be anchored by Jay Novak and Mike Bauman, according to www.LEAGUELINEUP.COM/UOFMCLUBBASEBALL. They will be accompanied Justin Stark and Pat Morrison. In the field, Gavern helped lead the team’s hitting attack behind the dish along with Will Ludlow driving in the runs.

“We should have some very strong pitching, and we pretty much have a solid lineup this year,” Gavern said. “We’re looking to do some big things. This is the 4th year for most seniors with the team here and we’re looking to go out like we came in (as freshmen).”

After the tryouts, the team will practice a couple of times per week in preparation for its six fall games prior to the 20-game regular season in spring. During the season, the team meets for practice three times per week, then a doubleheader Saturday and a game on Sunday.

Before the season begins, the team will take a trip to Florida to hold its own Spring Training. This will provide a time to foster team chemistry on and off the field.

“The guys I’ve played with all four years are definitely my best friends in college,” senior third baseman Kyle Lewis said. “Some people join fraternities and sororities when they get to college. You could say this is sort of like that. I’ve been with these same guys for four years since we tried out together.”

Correction appended: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the number of returning players on the team. This version also corrects the year and positions of two players.