Out on the open water, the Michigan and Ohio State men’s crew teams met for the 11th time to decide whether the Wolverines could continue their winning streak of six straight against the Buckeyes.

The traditional rivalry trophy, the WolverBuck Oar was there for the taking for both Michigan and Ohio State.

Although Ohio State kept the match close in the beginning of the competition, Michigan captured its seventh straight, winning 24-6 while taking three of the four events to improve its record to 9-2 overall in the annual rivalry.

The matchup began with Michigan’s second varsity team collecting a convincing victory against Ohio State with a time of 5:03.8 over the Buckeyes 5:31.59. This was Michigan’s largest margin of victory and also gave the Wolverines an 8-0 lead.

“Second varsity impressed me the most,” Michigan coach Gregg Hartsuff said. “In practice they always push our first varsity to be more poised and patient during their rowing.”

Even though Hartsuff was astonished by the effort given by the second varsity, he didn’t believe his team raced as well as he would have liked.

“As a team, we are a lot deeper than Ohio State,” coach Hartsuff said. “However, our team as a whole was not as poised and patient as I would like us to be.”

The only loss that Michigan endured during its matchup with Ohio State occurred when Michigan’s freshman-eight lost.

Ohio State’s freshmen finished in 5:18.72, which was 11.72 seconds faster than Michigan’s fastest freshman time of 5:30.44.

Michigan then responded to the Ohio State’s surge with a dominating performance by its varsity four-plus teams.

The varsity four-plus teams brought the lead to 14-6, coming in first, second and third place in this particular event. Michigan’s first-place varsity four-plus team secured the victory for the Wolverines with a time of 5:33.98.

Michigan’s varsity-eight team concluded the meet with a time of 4:55.86 to earn 10 more points.

The team will now be training for the grueling battles it will face during the spring season beginning in February.