Michigan entered last weekend, fresh off their first Big Ten win of this season. Although the 3-2 victory over Wisconsin was impressive, the team was still facing questions about consistency. But, with two quality wins against Illinois-Chicago and Northwestern, Michigan quieted many critics.

Yesterday, the Wolverines (7-6-1, 2-3 Big Ten) put the finishing touches on the pivotal weekend by gaining their second Big Ten victory in a 5-0 shellacking of Northwestern. The Michigan scoring barrage began when junior Mike White received a header from freshman Adam Bruh, and beat Northwestern goalie J.D. Martin for the score. A 1-0 lead quickly turned to 2-0 when, seven minutes later, sophomore Knox Cameron received a corner kick from Bruh, and headed the ball under Martin and into the net. Sophomore Mychal Turpin finished off the first-half scoring by one-timing a pass from junior Kevin Robinson into the back of the net.

Northwestern came out after halftime with a new goalie, but the change just brought more of the same from the Wolverines. Cameron notched his second goal at 47:14, when he received a ball in traffic and booted it past the defense.

Up 4-0, the Wolverines toned down their offensive attack, but that didn’t stop freshman Trai Banks from torching the defense at 86:20, and making the final score 5-0. Michigan coach Steve Burns felt that the game showed promise for the remainder of the season.

“We wanted to make the statement that Michigan is a program that will play hard and challenge every team the rest of the way,” Burns said. “This was a real confidence booster for this team.”

On Friday, Michigan began its road trip to the Windy City with a 2-1 victory over Illinois-Chicago. Michigan netted its first goal of the game in the 12th minute off of a corner kick. Freshman Adam Bruh took the kick, and chipped the ball into junior Kevin Taylor, who controlled the ball, and passed it to White. White received the ball, and blasted a shot past the keeper. In the second, Robinson scored the eventual game winner by slipping behind the defense on a counter-attack, and converting the breakaway. The win satisfied Burns.

“They did what we asked and came through with a big win for us,” Burns said. “We grew here as a team today.”