Students making their way through the University’s Medical Campus each day are greeted by a nude family. The naked, bronze statue of a family of three that stands next to the Glen Avenue parking structure strikes some students as a bit out of place.

Angela Cesere
A statue, called the “Regeneration of Time,” that stands near the Glen Avenue parking structure near the Medical Campus. (BENJI DELL/Daily)

“This piece is well done, but it’s a little strange to have a naked family in the middle of an intersection,” said School of Nursing senior Amanda Cooperwasser.

The statue, titled “Regeneration of Time,” was designed by Louis Marinaro, an associate professor in the School of Art and Design.

It includes three human figures. An adult male figure holds a child by the waist, while an adult female figure looks at the child, holding an apple in one hand.

“The male figure holds the future in the present and represents the child’s past,” Marinaro wrote in an explanation published on the University’s website. “The adult female looks at the future and holds its promise as she stands in the past. The child holds to the present and represents the future as she gazes at her own.”

Marinaro said the statue shows the aspects of clinical care and medical research and education offered by the Medical Center.

“Regeneration implies a form of re-creation, or to make over, into a better form or condition,” Marinaro wrote. “Time is a part of this title because the subject talks about the continuation of knowledge and care.”

The University acquired “Regeneration of Time” in 1996. It is one of many pieces of public art on campus.

According to the University’s Campus Public Art Guidelines, artwork can be purchased, accepted in the form of gifts, or specially commissioned. Selection and placement of art is determined on a case-by-case basis by the University Planner and the Public Art Review Group.

Installation of a new piece of art on campus is coupled with a long-term maintenance plan. Once artwork is positioned on campus, it cannot be moved from its original location unless the building it is affiliated with is removed or redesigned.

Some students think the location of the statue is unfortunate.

“It doesn’t really fit the surroundings,” said Mi Zhou, a graduate student in the College of Engineering. “It’s right next to a parking structure.”