Fifth Harry Potter book finished – British author J.K. Rowling has announced that “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” the fifth of the seven books in the series, has been completed and will be released early next year. The newest installment is reportedly even longer than “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,” clocking in at 38 chapters. Warner Bros.’ “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,” the adaptation of Rowling’s second novel, will be released this Friday.

Steve Martin to host oscars – Zap2it.com reports that Martin was tapped to host the 75th Academy Awards show in March after Bill Crystal reportedly turned the opportunity down. Martin hosted the 2001 awards, giving a laid-back and low-key performance that was well-recieved overall.

Martin expressed his excitement, joking,

“I’m very pleased to be hosting the Oscars again, because fear and nausea always make me lose weight.” The 2003 Oscars will take place on March 23 at the Kodak Theatre.

It’s not TV; It’s a crappy awards show – The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences is in the process of negotiating a five-year deal with HBO for the broadcast rights to the prime-time Emmys. In the past, the show has been on NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox and has rotated year by year. After months of failed negotiations with the networks over licensing fees, the Academy turned to the premium channel, which had offered to meet the $10 million asking price. CNN suggested that one possible snag is that even if HBO unscrambles for the event or broadcasts on another sister cable network, only about 85 percent of the viewers would be able to watch.