Multiple Alexander the Great projects in the works There are currently four films about the life of Alexander the Great in the eraly stages of production. Mel Gibson is co-producing a mini-series for HBO based on the Mary Renault novels “Fire from Heaven” and “The Persian Boy,” which follow the rise and fall of the ruler. The 10-part series will go into production this year and be released in 2004. Zap2it.com reports that Ridley Scott is currently working with legendary producer Dino de Laurentiis, with whom Scott worked on “Hannibal,” on an adaptation of the novels by Italian author Valerio Manfredi which deal with the life of Alexander. Martin Scorsese is also directing on a big budget version starring Leonardo DiCaprio, and Alfonso Arau, director of “Like Water for Chocolate,” is helming a fourth bio-pic.

Whoopi to Host Oscars Whoopi Goldberg has been chosen to host the Academy Awards for the fourth time. Goldberg, who last hosted the Oscars in 1998, will be the first host in the award show”s new location, the Kodak Theater in Hollywood. The Oscar nominations for 2001 will be announced Feb. 12.

Liquor ads only at night Zap2it.com reports that NBC has decided to run commercials for liquor only during programming where 85% of the audience is over 21, which allows these commercials during the entire prime time line-up, with the exception of the Saturday night movie.

New cable channel will be totally gay The Internet Movie Database reports that MTV and Showtime are planning the launch of a cable network focusing exclusively on gay programming. Media stock analyst Tom Wolzien of Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. supported the idea, saying “It”s about time somebody had gone after that audience with a (cable) network. It”s an important segment of the audience that has been traditionally underserved.” The networks have not decided whether the new channel will be by subscription only, like Showtime or advertisement supported, like MTV.