Major comeback: Making his first start this season, senior Major Applewhite led Texas to a 47-43 victory over Washington in the Holiday Bowl.

Applewhite, who threw for a career-best 473 yards and four touchdowns, passed for two scores in the final quarter to help erase the Longhorns” 16- point deficit. Washington had its own fourth-quarter comeback when running back Willie Hearst scored with 1:49 left in the game to give the Huskies a 43-40 lead. But Texas used the next minute to go 77 yards in six plays to set up Ivan Williams” three-yard winning score.

Brigham Young, sue this!: After threatening to sue the NCAA for not being included in the BCS one week before the regular season ended, Brigham Young lost its final two games, including its Liberty Bowl contest against Louisville.

Louisville quarterback David Ragone threw for three touchdowns in the Cardinals” 28-10 victory. The Cardinals” defense held the Cougars to just 278 total yards, far below their average of 500 per game.

Bowden ties Bryant: Florida State”s 30-17 win over Virginia Tech in the Gator Bowl gave coach Bobby Bowden two new milestones. He improved to 16-0 in bowl games that do not have national championship implications, and earned victory number 323 to tie Bear Bryant for second place on the all-time wins list behind Joe Paterno.