First patient to leave UMHS with artificial heart

Twenty-four year old Stan Larkin was the first patient to ever [COPY: first patient in Michigan, not ever] leave a hospital without a human heart. Larkin is currently equipped with the Freedom Driver, a portable pump he will use until he is eligible for a heart transplant.

The Freedom Driver weighs about 13 pounds and can be transported in a backpack. An older version of the device weighed 418 pounds. It was approved by the FDA in June 2014 as a gateway to transplantation.

“I don’t have to lay in the hospital bed all day and night anymore,” Larkin said. “I can get back to my life.”

EnspiRED produces global fashion show

The Biomedical Science Research Building was turned into a seven-city fashion showcase Saturday .

EnspiRED, a student group that promotes artistic expression on campus, organized the fashion show to center around the idea of a train on a track, “The Red Express.”

By combining students’ designs with clothing donated from local and Detroit-based boutiques, the show presented styles from Moscow, Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, London, Mumbai, Detroit and Accra, Ghana.

LSA junior Christopher James, a member of the EnspiRED executive board, wrote in an e-mail that the high-fashion setting provides for many special effects.

“Once the lights come on and the music plays, you will forget that you’re at a student-run show,” James wrote.

EnspiRED plans to donate 20 percent of the event’s profits to Arts & Scraps, a nonprofit organization that recycles used fabric to create arts and crafts for elementary school students in Detroit.

SAAN conference focuses on fighting stigma

The South Asian Awareness Network held a conference last weekend in Rackham Auditorium [COPY: and in the Michigan League] examining “Threads: Connecting Our Voice, Our Truths, Our Selves.”

More than 300 members of the University community attended the conference Friday evening through Sunday afternoon. SAAN began the conference 13 years ago to encourage discussion on social issues important to the South Asian community.

This year, the conference highlighted personal stories from members of the South Asian community. “Threads” stressed the significance of individuals’ journeys and how it affected their identities.

This year’s speakers included activist Almas Haider and comedian Hari Kondabolu. Mahima Mahadevan, who works for the Ford School of Public Policy’s Education Policy Initiative, also spoke.

LSA sophomore Sidra Kader was a first-time facilitator and attendee of the event. She said she liked the empowerment that comes from facilitating dialogue.

“If I can be in control of this, well, I can be in control of making the change we need to make and have improvements in society, which is the point of the conference, is it not?” she said.