On campus:
University’s Spring Commencement speakers announced
Ann Arbor business owners Paul Saginaw and Ari Weinzweig, the co-founders of Zingerman’s Community of Businesses, were announced on March 15 as this year’s Spring Commencement address at the Michigan Stadium.

Sigma Alpha Mu disbanded by international board following ski trip
The University’s chapter of Sigma Alpha Mu was suspended and permanently closed by the fraternity’s international board of directors this week. The suspension is a result of the ski resort vandalism incident in January that made national news. The vandalism resulted in damages totaling more than $250,000.

Fundraiser for local homeless couple stalls
Earlier this month, Kinesiology freshman Michael Funkhouser created a fundraiser for Mat Chavez and Danielle Chavez, a local homeless couple. After raising $7,347, Funkhouser went on Facebook on March 17 to announce that family members and friends of the couple alleged that the couple is homeless due to drug problems, not due to an illness that resulted in a lost job, as the couple had stated. Funkhouser is currently exploring alternate avenues for the donated money.

Around the world:
Starbucks enters into conversation about race
On March 16, the coffee retailer began a new ad campaign titled “Race Together.” The campaign hopes to encourage customers to engage in conversations about race with Starbucks baristas through different initiatives such as writing “Race Together” on cups. The campaign has sparked a backlash, with many accusing Starbucks of ignoring the company’s role in gentrification.

Bloomberg and Gates create $4 million fund to fight tobacco firms
Michael Bloomberg’s Bloomberg Philanthropies and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation are donating an initial $4 million to a fund to go toward legal advice for nations such as Uruguay and Australia where health initiatives are challenged by large tobacco firms.