When we were kids, Halloween weekend was a time to convene with friends, dress up as the characters we idolized or the occupations we still believed to be viable (shoutout to my friend’s pirate costume in third grade), and collect candy by the pillowcase-load. If the night didn’t end in a stomachache, we had failed.

As college students, not much has changed. We still dress up in equally ridiculous costumes — admittedly for different reasons — we still get together with friends, and for many, the night still ends in a stomachache (also, perhaps, for different reasons).

So as Halloween quick approaches, here are three things you can do to celebrate this weekend, college-style.

1. Trick-or-treat at the President’s house
Former University President Mary Sue Coleman used to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, and when he became president, Mark Schlissel expressed interest in doing the same.

“It may sound corny, but helping lead a college campus and living in the midst of that campus replaces a little bit about what I miss of not having kids in the house anymore,” Schlissel said in a July release.

It seems that Halloween is as good a time as any to get some face time with the new president, in addition to an opportunity to see the president’s house at 815 S. University Ave..

2. Stay in the Blue
Michigan Athletics: “The Man” from Filmic Productions on Vimeo.

The likelihood is that most students will not have the opportunity to consume a lobster meal, as opposed to drinking, over the Halloween weekend, despite what Desmond Howard might suggest in the above video. Regardless, it is important to Stay in the Blue by counting drinks, setting a drink limit and taking other preventative measures so as not to go overboard during the festivities.

Additionally, Dean of Students Laura Blake Jones sent an e-mail to students Wednesday warning them to enjoy Halloween weekend, but also to keep things within the realm of reason.

“AAPD and UMPD will have extra patrols in place to augment safety this weekend Thursday (through) Saturday nights,” she wrote. “Don’t hesitate to call upon them if you witness an unsafe situation or if you need assistance keeping an event you are hosting under control.”

3. Watch holiday-themed TV and movies
Halloween is a treasure trove of pop culture — a personal favorite is the Peanuts special, “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” The show is set to air Oct. 30 at 8 p.m. on ABC. There are tons of other options; I highly encourage viewers to revisit childhood classics like “Halloweentown” or “Hocus Pocus.” See as well this list of 13 spooky movies available for streaming on Netflix (compiled by Wired.com). So if the party scene isn’t for you, or you need to unwind upon returning from a night of Halloween escapades, sit down with a bowl of popcorn (or roasted pumpkin seeds) and enjoy a movie.