It may not feel like it, but we’re already a month into the new semester, and there’s an avalanche of papers and exams waiting for you. There’s no need to worry, though. We’ve got a few study tips to help you beat the storm.

Get rid of distractions
This one’s a no-brainer, yet also the hardest to do. The Internet is full of distractions like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Buzzfeed. You may think you’re only taking a quick five-minute study break when you go on Buzzfeed, but let’s be honest, you’ll be on the site for much longer than that! Try programs like Cold Turkey or Self Control to temporarily block sites on your computer.

Make a practice test
If your professor doesn’t provide you with practice tests, make your own. Instead of just looking up the answers, turn your study guide into a mock exam and quiz yourself. Give yourself the same amount of time as your actual exam, and take it in a quiet place, modeling the test environment. This will help you quickly identify areas you need to study more carefully or in which you may need help.

Chew gum
Pop in some Doublemint or Trident while you’re studying or writing a paper. According to Scientific American study, chewing gum may increase students’ concentration and improve their reflexes, due to the increased flow of oxygen to areas of the brain that control attention.

Sit in the same place
If your test is being administered in your usual classroom, sit in the same place you usually sit during lecture. A Montana State University study found when students are tested in the same environment where they learned the information, they are more likely to remember what they were taught.