No. 12 Maryland 87, No. 3 Duke 72: Maryland exposed the Blue Devils on Saturday. The Terrapins (10-4), behind the play of Drew Nicholas, handed Duke (12-1) its first loss of the season.

Nicholas poured in 24 points in the win. Duke, which had won 14 of the last 17 games at Maryland, all played at Cole Field House. Apparently the Terps like their new home of the Comcast Center better.

No. 8 Kentucky 88, No. 16 Notre Dame 73: Kentucky slapped the Fighting Irish (14-3) around in Rupp Arena thanks in part to the defensive play of guard duo Gerald Fitch and Cliff Hawkins.

The two shut down Notre Dame star point guard Chris Thomas, who shot just 4-15 from the floor. He scored 14 points but also commited nine turnovers in the Irish’s losing effort. The Wildcats (13-3) have won 10 straight against the Irish.

Kentucky was also bolstered by the play of sophomore Chuck Hayes, who had 17 points, 16 rebounds and five assists, all of which were career highs.

North Carolina 68, No. 11 Connecticut 65: North Carolina (11-5) has been hot and cold this season, riding the shoulders of freshman stars Raymond Felton and Rashaad McCants.

The Huskies (11-2) got their first lead of the game when the human-shot-blocking-machine Emeka Okafor slamed home a dunk off a fast break with 1:16 left in the game, making the score 65-64.

North Carolina became just the second program in college basketball, after Kentucky, to win over 1,800 games.

No. 14 Indiana 84, No. 18 Illinois 66: The Illini found out just how good Jeff Newton is Saturday.

While Illinois (13-3) has Brian Cook, the Hoosiers’ center showed that perhaps he and not Cook, should be the Big Ten Player of the Year.

Newton scored a career-high 28 points in the Indiana (13-3) victory and held Cook, who averages 25 points a game, to just 15.

Bracey Wright missed the second straight game for the Hoosiers with a pinched nerve in his back.

Butler 64, Youngstown State 60: Few people would care about this game if Butler’s Darnell Archey hadn’t missed a free throw – which ended his NCAA record 85 consecutive conversions.