No. 24 Minnesota 73, No. 17 Georgia 69: With two seconds on the clock, Minnesota’s Michael Bauer launched a 3-point shot that bounced around the rim and then fell in as time expired.

The break was a welcome sight for the Gophers, who lost five games last season after blowing a late lead and nearly did the same against Georgia. The Bulldogs recovered from a six-point hole with under two minutes remaining to tie the game.

The defeat is all the more crushing for Georgia, which falls to 1-3 after losing to rival Georgia Tech and No. 3 Texas.

No. 6 Duke 84, No. 14 UCLA 73: Once again proving that Duke doesn’t rebuild, it reloads, freshman J.J. Redick paced the Blue Devils with 20 points and made up for the lack of output from another star freshman, Shavlik Randolph.

For UCLA, the annual Steve Lavin job watch begins again, as the Bruins are now 0-2 and off to their worst start in 41 seasons.

“We’re still a work in progress,” Lavin said. “We have a long way to go.”

North Carolina 74, Stanford 57: After winning the Preseason NIT, North Carolina’s 8-20 record last season is ancient history.

Rashad McCants again paced the Tar Heels against Stanford – just as he did in North Carolina’s upset of No. 2 Kansas two days earlier. McCants is one of three freshman, along with two sophomores, that start for the Tar Heels.

Interestingly enough, one of the goals of this talented freshmen class is to beat every team that North Carolina lost to last season.

“What happened last season got me pumped up and ready to play,” McCants said. “I wanted to play for them last season, but obviously couldn’t. Now we’re here.”

Oklahoma State 64, No. 9 Michigan State 61: After waiting eagerly for basketball season to arrive, Michigan State fans are cringing after the Spartans consecutive losses in the Great Alaska Shootout.

Chris Hill has looked good at the point, despite fouling out of the game and Kelvin Torbert is still showing some ill-effects of his injuries.

But the most disappointing things is that the Spartans were up by as much as nine points in the second half, but could not maintain the lead late in the game.