Friday 11.04.05

Goldini Arlecchino, Servant of Two Masters

The University Musical Society will present this 18th-century play which features improvisation song and dance. The performance will take place tomorrow and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre. Tickets are $35-45 and can be purchased through UMS or at the theatre.

Bugallo Williams

Piano Duo

The School of Music will present this guest recital from the two pianists, who will perform works by Stravinski, among others. The performance will take place at 8 p.m. at the Britton Recital Hall. The performance is free and no tickets are required.

What’s in a name?

The Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Affairs will hold its monthly bornw bag discussion about identity words. Professors Gayle Rubin and Esther Newton will discuss the historical meanings of words such as “queer” and “dyke.” The event will be held in the MSA Chambers of the Michigan Union from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., and is open to anyone.

Black Cloud

The Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs Office will sponsor a screening of the movie “Black Cloud” as part of the Native American Heritage Celebration Month. The film features a Navajo boxer who works to make the U.S. Olympic boxing team. The screening will take place at 8 p.m. at the William Monroe Trotter Multicultural Center, located at 1443 Washtenaw Ave.

Saturday 11.05.05

Live at Leo’s

A variety of local bands will perform at this event, which is the last that will be held this semester. The performance will begin at 8 p.m. at Leonardo’s in the Pierpont Commons. The event is free for everyone and no tickets are required.

MACFest 2005

This annual event features all 13 of the student a cappella groups. The performance will take place at 8 p.m. at the Rackham Auditorium. Tickets are $8 and can be purchased at the Michigan Union Ticket Office.

Youssou N’Dour and The Egyptian Orchestra

N’Dour will perform his traditional Segalese music that reflects on his Muslim faith. The performance will take place at 8 p.m. at Hill Auditorium. Tickets are $10-42 and can be purchased through UMS.

Digable Planets

The reunited Grammy-winning hip-hop group returns to Ann Arbor with special guests Lawless Elements, One.Be.Lo and DJ Graffiti. The performance will take place at The Blind Pig. Doors open at 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 and can be purchased in advance through Ticketmaster. Ages 18 and over only.

Sunday 11.06.05

Jean-Yves Thibaudet

The internationally-renowned pianist will perform pieces by Schumann and Ravel. The performance will take place at 4 p.m. at Hill Auditorium. Tickets are $10-50 and can be purchased through UMS or at MUTO.

Rhythm Kings

Phil Ogilvi’e Rhythm Kings, a 1920s style jazz band, performs every Sunday evening at The Firefly Club, located at 207 S. Ashley. The event begins at 5 p.m. and ends at 8 p.m., and cover is $7.