Friday 09.23.05

Inaugural Concert

This celebration of the 125th anniversary of the School of Music will include a performance by the Michigan Chamber Players and a welcome from new dean Christopher Kendall. The concert will take place at Rackham Auditorium at 7 p.m. The concert is free and no tickets are required.

Back-to-school

Local rock bands Misty and Colic will perform at this eclectic event, which also features hypnotist Jim Hokey and many other activities. The event will take place at the Michigan League Ballroom and the Michigan League Underground, starting at 7 p.m. Free.

Tally Hall

Local favorites Tally Hall will headline a show at the Blind Pig Friday. The popular rock quintet will perform with special guests Fred Thoman and Rai. The Blind Pig is located at 208 S. First St. Doors open at 9:30. $10 cover. 18 and older only.

Saturday 09.24.05

Culture Bus

Arts at Michigan presents this bus trip to the Arab American National Museum, which will also feature dinner at LaShish in Dearborn and dessert at the Sinbad Cafe. The bus will depart from the Michigan Museum of Art at 1 p.m. Tickets are $15 for students and $20 for graduate students, faculty and staff and can be purchased at www.michresfest.org.

Trotter Community Festival

As part of the grand reopening of the William Monroe Trotter House, this festival will feature food, film screenings, dance instruction and many other activities. The festival will take place at the William Monroe Trotter House at 1443 Washtenaw, starting at 4 p.m. Free.

Red Cross Benefit Concert

The 15-member group Nomo will be joined by six other bands in a concert to benefit the Red Cross relief effort for Hurricane Katrina. The concert will take place at The Blind Pig. Doors open at 9:30 p.m. $8 cover. $10 cover for under 21. 18 and over only.

Sunday 09.25.05

Flute concert and tea ceremony

The legend of the Zen Buddhist bamboo flute will be told as Michael Gould plays the shakunachi flute. Afterwards, a traditional Japanese tea ceremony will take place. The event will be in the Japanese Gallery at the University of Michigan Museum of Art starting at 2 p.m. Free.

Director David Lynch

Director David Lynch (“The Elephant Man” and “Mulholland Drive”) will deliver a lecture about film-making as well as new research regarding the effects of meditation on the brain. The lecture will take place at the Power Center starting at 7 p.m. Free.