Friday 09.16.05Bear vs. SharkThe Blind Pig hosts Bear vs. Shark with special guests Fire When Ready, The Holy Fire and Russian Circles. Hailing from the Detroit suburb of Ferndale, Bear vs. Shark will begin a U.S. tour in October. The Blind Pig is located at 208 S. First St. and doors open at 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for guests age 21 and $8 for guests ages 18 to 20.National Security LectureSen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), a member of the Senate Committee on National Security and Government Affairs, will deliver this special lecture, titled “New Directions in National Security.” The lecture will take place at Hale Auditorium at 5 p.m. Free. Mady KouyateThis West African artist will perform songs on the kora, a 21-stringed harp. The performance will take place at The Ark at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at The Ark box office at 316 S. Main.Mark Morris Dance GroupModern choreographer Mark Morris combines dance moves with many different genres of music in the group’s first performance as residents at the University. The performances will take place at the Power Center tomorrow and Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 to $44 and can be purchased at the University Musical Society.Bienvenidos DanceThe Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs and the Society of Professional Hispanic Engineers will hold their annual Bienvenidos (Welcome) Dance. All are invited. The dance will take place at the Michigan Club of the Michigan Union at 9 p.m. Free.“Mural”Film student Sultan Sherrief will screen his new film, “Mural,” a documentary about students making a mural in Detroit. The screening will take place at 5 p.m. at the Hill Seminar Room in Alice Lloyd Residence Hall. Free.Saturday 09.17.05Faculty RecitalPianist Arthur Greene will perform works from Schubert and Chopin, among other composers. The performance will take place at 8 p.m. at the Britton Recital Hall at the School of Music. The performance is free, and no tickets are required.Cobblestone Contra DanceThis traditional folk event, presented by the Ann Arbor Council for Traditional Music and Dance, will feature instruction and live music in a lively format. The dance will take place at 8 p.m. at the Pittsfield Grange. $8.

Sunday 09.18.05

Culture BusArts at Michigan presents this bus trip to the Michigan Renaissance Festival for students, faculty and staff, complete with Irish music and dance. The bus will depart from the Michigan Museum of Art at 11 a.m. Tickets are $10 for students and $12 for faculty and staff and can be purchased at www.michresfest.comHurricane Katrina Benefit Concert Muruga’s Global Village, Brothers Groove and Liquid Garbage are among the bands that will perform at this benefit concert presented by InFlight. Doors open at 7 p.m. $6 cover. $9 cover for under 21. 18 and over only.