Five years ago …

The Daily reported that the Michigan “Go Blue” banner, under which football players run before all home games, was stolen from Crisler Arena. DPS spokesperson Elizabeth Hall said the banner is of “sentimental value to the University” and requested students’ help in locating those responsible.

Ten years ago …

Students and Ann Arbor merchants both expressed a desire for the University to expand Entre Plus Service. Entre Plus was limited to restaurants in the Michigan Union, sport venues, the Michigan League and most services in the residence halls.

But University Business Manager for Housing Larry Durst said that there was no realistic solution to extending the program off-campus.

“Legally, we are not permitted to go off campus,” Durst said. “it is unclear how you do this with a community.”

Sept. 20, 1968

The University Hospital performed the state’s first heart transplant operation to 49-year old Kalamazoo resident Phillip Barnum. The operating team consisted of 22 doctors, and the operation lasted well into the early morning. Barnum received the heart of a 38-year old male who had recently suffered a stroke.

Sept, 16, 1980

The body of University graduate student Rebecca Huff was found brutally stabbed to death. She was the third Ann Arbor woman found killed in three months.

Police Chief William Corbett said many similarities existed between all three murders: all three women were stabbed in the chest, were not sexually molested and were robbed.

Sept. 17, 1983

The University’s Civil Liberties Board voted to urge administrators to subsidize students who lost their federal financial aid because they refused to disclose their draft registration status, as required by law. Board members said replacing lost federal funds would divert money away from students who are complying with law.

Sept. 19, 1962

While welcoming freshmen to the University’s honors program, Prof. Otto Graf of the German Department said that “in an institution of this size, the standards which admit a student and enable him to stay are often inconsistent.”

He went on to say that “for this reason, there is a tremendous intellectual gap between the upper 10 percent and the lower 50 percent of the average literary college class.”

Sept. 19, 1975

After battling crowds at the antiquated IM building on Hoover Street, the University approved plans to build two new structures, one on North Campus and the other on Central Campus. The two structures were the first IM construction projects since 1928. Once they were built, the University had more recreational indoor space than any other campus in the United States.

Sept. 18, 1990

Responding to a fight involving a large number of non-students during a dance party, Vice President for Student Services Mary Anne Swain announced all students wishing to go to University social events must show their student identification.

Sept. 21, 1978

With the support of schools, churches, administrators and automobile organizations, the Coalition for 21 plead its case to voters for raising the legal drinking age from 18 to 21. University students between the ages of 18 and 21 were upset because there was no “grandfather clause” allowing them to continue drinking if the law passed.

Sept. 17, 1985

Housing officials and building directors discussed how they can better enforce the residents halls’ alcohol policy, and whether beer kegs can be involved in dorms.

The discussion was in response to a decision made by Jerral Jackson, building director of Couzens Residence Hall, to institute a no-kegs rule in the dorms.

Sept. 14, 1974

Close to 400 people gathered on the Diag to protest the executive pardon issued to former President Richard Nixon by President Gerald Ford.

– Complied by Daily Staff Reporters Jeremy Berkowitz and

Michael Gurovitsch.