Five years ago…

In a show of support for the University’s race-conscious admissions policies, hundreds of students – supported by students from 70 colleges and universities in 25 states – took part in the “national day of action.” The event was the second of its kind during the semester.

“It’s up to us to lead the way – we need to provide guidance to the rest of the country on what it takes to defend affirmative action,” said LSA freshman Shaba Anrich, a member of the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action and Integration By Any Means Necessary.

Ten years ago…

Washtenaw County Circuit Judge Donald Shelton ordered the University to allow the 22nd annual Hash Bash to take place as usual on the Diag with an injunction. The University had claimed that the event’s organizer, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, was responsible for paying the University $9,400 for projected security costs.

April 3, 1895

Construction of the Women’s Gymnasium, a building that no longer exists, began in full force.

The facility was intended to serve the first female students at the University.

April 4, 1936

Bruno Hauptmann – convicted kidnapper and murderer of Charles Lindbergh Jr.- was executed by means of the electric chair

His execution represented the end of the biggest media stir of the ’30s.

Col. Charles Lindbergh – the baby’s father – was the first man to successfully fly across the Atlantic Ocean, an act that gained him instant international fame.

Hauptmann, a carpenter and German immigrant, kidnapped Lindbergh’s son on March 1, 1932, and the child’s remains were soon discovered.

The hunt for the culprit raged for two years, but Hauptmann’s connection to the case was confirmed when research showed that the wood used to build the ladder used on the night of the kidnapping exactly matched that of Hauptmann’s attic.

April 3, 1962

At age 88, poet Robert Frost spoke at Hill Auditorium, saying “there’s more poetry outside of verse than in it, just as there’s more love outside of marriage than in it, and more religion outside the church than in it.”

“I’m not interested in marriage, or the church, but I’m technically committed to rhyme and meter – I become institutional at that point.”

“There is a lot dreary stuff in free verse. A lot of poets would be better off if they if they were clever enough to do some rhyming,” he added.

April 2, 1967

In response to the arrest of a student activist on the previous Friday in the League lobby, newly-chosen University President Robben Fleming advocated the rights of community members to protest, but added, “I don’t think it is an inalienable right to picket anywhere in unlimited numbers.”

“It’s difficult to draw the line on demonstrations,” he added.

“I’m not sure you can have an exact rule on what one means by ’embarrassment’ and ‘close physical proximity’ to University guests that violates the rights of speakers and listeners,” he said.

April 1, 1971

Former Daily editor M. Abraham Hirschman announced his plans this day to start a new, more conservative paper to be called The Campus Comment.

“It’s about time the Michigan Machine Daily stopped monopolizing the campus press,” Hirschman said.

“It’s about time the Daily stopped pushing its Pinko views on the University community.”

He added that his staff would “be more representative of student body than is the Daily.”

April 7, 1993

University Prof. Francis Collins was named to head the Human Genome Project at the National Institute of Health.

The project, which began two years before, was designed to completely map out the human DNA strand.

Collins had earlier discovered and cloned the gene that causes cystic fibrosis and collaborated on study of the gene that causes Huntington’s disease.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter

Andrew McCormack.