Five years ago…

After naming him interim coach of the men’s basketball team in October 1997, Athletic Director Tom Goss announced that Brian Ellerbe’s status would become permanent. Ellerbe succeeded Steve Fisher, who was fired after a NCAA investigation showed his players had taken money and gifts. Goss had recently conducted a nationwide search for a new coach including interviews with Oklahoma coach Kevin Sampson and Seton Hall coach Tommy Amaker.

Ten years ago…

The College of Literature, Science and the Arts held a forum for students to discuss the possibility of adding a quantitative reasoning requirement for all incoming students in the Fall 1994 semester. Professors raised concerns of how the college would teach quantitative reasoning. Students voiced complaints of having another requirement to worry about as well as adding a burden to students who did not like math.

March 26, 1982

Representatives of student groups met with Michigan Union Director Frank Cianciola to discuss the high costs of the Union’s catering service, which groups were forced to use for events due to health regulations. Cianciola said the Union was planning several cost-cutting measures, including a 6 percent decrease in catering workers’ salaries.

March 24, 1988

Presidential hopeful Jesse Jackson spoke at Crisler Arena two days before the Michigan Democratic presidential primary. Jackson criticized President Ronald Reagan’s administration, including a recent presidential veto of a civil rights bill, and Vice President George Bush’s support of the veto. Jackson also talked about raising the minimum wage and welfare issues. He would go on to win the Michigan primary.

March 26, 1974

University secretaries formed the Concerned Clericals for Action union. Their main complaints were low wages and lack of job security.

Susan Brownmiller, author of “Against Our Will”, spoke at Hill Auditorium about sexual injustice. She said she believed rape is an effort by men to keep women in a state of fear.

March 27, 1967

The University Board of Regents officially named Robben Fleming as the next University president. Fleming, then chancellor of the University of Wisconsin at Madison, succeeded Harlan Hatcher, who was retiring after 16 years. Fleming would serve as president until his retirement in 1979.

March 25, 1952

The Literary Gazette, a Russian magazine, labeled a Michigan Daily editorial as a “slanderous attack” against the Soviet Union. The author of the editorial, Rich Thomas, took the reprimand as a compliment.

March 23, 1953

A Michigan Daily survey of 30 campus organizations showed a membership trend away from student government positions and toward drama and music clubs.

March 25, 1960

Sentences were given to four University students for “attempting to procure an act of gross indecency” between males. The students were among 28 men arrested in a two-month period that year by special officers patrolling University and city restrooms.

March 27, 1947

A committee formed by University Athletic Director Fritz Crisler made recommendations to require three years of physical education for all students, with one credit given for each semester. The new rules would go into effect for the freshman class of 1946. Professors who completed the study said the University had the lowest physical education requirements of any college in the country.

March 27, 1920

Students complained about recent tuition increases which resulted in semester rates of $75 for women, $80 for men and $100 for out-of-state students. University officials said the rates were still better than that of Harvard University’s $200 per semester.

-Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter

Jeremy Berkowitz.