Jan. 14, 1994

The Black Student Union announced it would boycott the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Symposium. BSU leaders claimed the symposium did not honor the history of activism or feature black activists and cultural heroes.

Jan. 15, 1985

As Students Against Nuclear Suicide disbanded, members said they wanted to focus on more relevant issues in the community. SANS had recently given up on a campaign to force University Health Services to stockpile suicide pills in case of nuclear war.

Jan. 13, 1972

A subcommittee of the Senate Assembly Committee on University Affairs released a report calling for sanctions on professors who did corporation-directed research. The report was the result of a resolution passed by SACUA that prohibited faculty members from accepting grants that restricted the publication of their results.

Jan. 16, 1962

Chester Bowles, a special advisor on African, Asian and Latin American affairs to President John Kennedy, spoke at the University. In his speech, he talked about fighting for freedom and spreading American values to other nations. He said the purpose of the United States was to continue the American revolution around the world.

Jan. 12, 1952

The state fire marshal called for the immediate razing of four University buildings including the building housing the Journalism Department, due to severe fire hazards found by inspections. The inspections resulted from an order by Gov. G. Mennan Williams to inspect all state buildings, issued after a serious state office building fire in February 1951.

Jan. 12, 1943

Due to a wartime shortage of nurses, the University announced it would create a new school to train student nurses quickly, prior to joining the war effort.

Jan. 18, 1935

A Daily survey revealed numerous problems with the fraternity system across the United States. After interviewing deans at 22 universities, the survey revealed school officials found the most serious problems with fraternities to be their financial state and lack of cooperation with administrators.

Jan. 4, 1925

The University announced that all League Houses, housing for women supervised by the University, would support rules prohibiting women from smoking.

Jan. 14, 1986

University officials announced that for a two-year period starting 1987, more LSA students would have to take 8 a.m. classes. A decrease in classroom space caused by the renovation of the East Engineering Building prompted the change.

Jan. 16, 1974

The country’s first credit union exclusively for women was established in Ann Arbor. Founders said a women’s bank was necessary because of sexist policies at other male-controlled institutions.

Jan. 16, 1958

At 7:55 a.m., University President Harlan Hatcher unlocked the doors of the brand new Undergraduate Library. The new library cost approximately $3.1 million and would be open until midnight six days a week.

Jan. 15, 1999

Ten members of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity pleaded not guilty to alcohol misdemeanor charges in relation to the October 1998 death of LSA freshman Courtney Cantor. Cantor died after falling out a window in her room in Mary Markley Residence hall after she attended a party at Phi Delta Theta.

Jan. 14, 1988

One hundred University students held a sit-in at LSA Dean Peter Steiner’s office calling for him to resign. The students were angry over allegedly racist remarks made by Steiner in September 1987 to a meeting of faculty members, at which he spoke against affirmative action.

Jan. 14, 1948

The University Board of Regents revised the bylaws of the Committee on Student Conduct to allow three students on the committee.

– Compiled by Daily Staff reporter Jeremy Berkowitz.