Jan. 3, 1943

The School of Business Administration created a new fast-track program for women to prepare them to enter the business world quicker.

The program consisted of two semesters of classes in areas including merchandising, accounting and banking.

At the end of the two semesters, students would be prepared to take a job in a business office.

In addition, if they stayed on another two semesters, they would receive a bachelors degree in business administration.

Jan. 4, 1950

The University announced that a new men’s residence hall would be built across the street from the Law Club.

The residence hall, later known as South Quad, would be eight floors high and cost $500,000. It would be completed in September 1951 and house 1,150 men.

Jan 8, 1992

The Ann Arbor City Council unanimously passed an ordinance regarding the use of fake identification.

The new penalties for being caught with a fake ID would now involve fines and possible community service.

Jan. 8, 1983

Former University employee Arthur Arroyo was sentenced to five to 10 years in prison after being found guilty of setting fire to the Economics Building on Christmas Eve 1981.

Jan. 9, 1919

A fire partially gutted the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house at 621 State St.

The blaze started at around 3:15 a.m. Fire inspectors believed it had been ignited because of a defective chimney located near a furnace.

Two brothers were sleeping in the house at the time, but quickly evacuated once awakened by firefighters.

Jan. 9, 1958

In a vote of 10 to five with one abstention, Student Government Council established a committee to study progress for removing fraternity and sorority entrance restrictions.

Jan. 10, 1967

The University announced that up to $4.3 million, taken from the student fees account, would be used to help build a campus theatre.

This act broke the tradition of using student funds solely for student purposes.

Jan. 10, 1975

ROTC commanding officers at the University requested help from the administration to boost their low membership.

They said a restoration of LSA credit to ROTC classes that was eliminated in 1969 would greatly help the ROTC program.

Jan. 10, 1991

Entr