Dec. 4, 1957

The Student Government Council urged the administration to adopt a more precise marking system. Under the plan, a .3 would be added to the numerical equivalent for a plus grade and subtracted for a minus grade.

Dec. 4, 1968

Business administration Prof. Paul McCracken was named by President-elect Richard Nixon to head the Council of Economic Advisors. He cited inflation and global monetary problems as the major economic problems facing the administration.

Dec. 4, 1978

In anticipation of widespread infractions of the new law which raised the drinking age from 18 to 21 when it went into effect Dec. 22, the Ann Arbor City Council unanimously passed an ordinance making violation of the law punishable by a $5 fine.

Dec. 5, 1946

The U.S. Postal Service prohibited packages over 18 inches long or weighing more than five pounds in order to save energy. Many students were unable to mail their dirty laundry home to mom.

Dec. 6, 1949

Michigan football coach Bennie Oosterbaan was named “Coach of the Year” for steering the Wolverines to the top-ranking position in the final AP football poll. Oosterbaan received more than twice as many first place votes as his closest rival.

Dec. 7, 1971

The Daily learned John Lennon and Yoko Ono had agreed to make their first appearance in two years at a rally for radical leader John Sinclair. They would join many other national radical leaders in a fundraiser at Crisler Arena after Sinclair was given up to ten years for possession of two marijuana cigarettes. He claimed he was arrested because of his political beliefs.

Dec. 8, 1916

University medical officials encouraged all students to receive a vaccination against smallpox in order to prevent an epidemic. Several cases were reported in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti in the preceding days.

Dec. 8, 1953

Members of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity found a pregnant goat named ‘Reginald I’ chained to their bathroom sink. Fraternity pledges purchased the goat for $12 from a local farmer and locked him to the sink as a prank.

Dec. 9, 1935

The Daily reported that 91 students would be displaced or lose jobs if a block of homes and businesses would be torn down to make way for the new Rackham building.

Dec. 9, 1950

The administration announced in a letter to the student body that it was worried about student morale and studies being affected by the conflict in Korea. The message called on students to “devote themselves to the work which they have undertaken and to keep faith with the future.”

Dec. 9, 1922

The Board in Control of Athletics granted formal recognition as minor varsity sports to hockey, swimming, wrestling and golf, bringing the total number of varsity sports to ten.

Dec. 9, 1971

The Student Government Council voted to publish a list of names and telephone numbers of undercover agents operating in Michigan, despite the government’s warning that publication of the list would be a felony. The list was stolen from a state police office and circulated in an underground pamphlet at Michigan State University.

Dec. 10, 1912

Members of the Law School football team learned that they might lose a credit of class hour for their time spent away from classes while at away games.

Dec. 10, 1955

An Ann Arbor couple was evicted from their “shack-like dwelling” for the second time so the owner could avoid the cost of tearing it down and have the house burned. The couple had sold the house 90 days before, but due to sickness, did not have enough money to move. The couple was removed by the sheriff and their belongings to piles on the front lawn before the fire department set the house ablaze.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Tyler Boersen.