Nov. 20, 1918

During World War I, the University community was asked to raise $40,000 for the United War Work campaign that would provide “creature comforts” for the fighting forces. At the end of the campaign, they had raised only $13,000. Rev. Lloyd Douglas derided the campus saying, “It’s a mighty cheap brand of patriotism that contents itself with making a racket.”

Nov. 20, 1953

University senior Milo Radulovich, a member of the Air Force reserve, was under investigation for dismissal from the force as a poor security risk because of his close and continuous association with alleged Communists – his father and sister.

Nov. 20, 1975

The University Board of Regents was told that black enrollment remained slightly under seven percent, falling from the previous year and still short of the 10 percent the University pledged to meet by the fall of 1973. Officials said the University compared favorably with other state Universities, but not with Stanford or Princeton which have much smaller student bodies.

Nov. 20, 1982

Daily Photo Editor Brian Masck and Sports Editor Bob Wojnowski were arrested in Columbus, prior to the Michigan-Ohio State football game for photographing an arrest during the annual pre-game festivities.

Nov. 21, 1932

Rumors of an “epidemic food poisoning” among residents at Mosher-Jordan Residence Hall were quelled when the director of University Health Services said that only a few mild cases of acute enteritis were under supervision, but their condition was not serious.

Nov. 21, 1990

The Interfraternity Council passed a resolution banning fraternity parties open to all students, and would require a guest list or invitation for admission. The ban aimed to reduce legal liability and the risk of damage to the property of fraternities.

Nov. 22, 1929

The student government was granted control over all student funds on campus. The organization already had jurisdiction over student organizations, and now would be responsible for overseeing finances and selling tickets for events.

Nov. 22, 1945

Football coach Fritz Crisler announced that first-string fullback Jack Weisenburger would not be able to play because of a broken bone in his chest, hurting Michigan’s hopes for a victory in the homecoming game against Ohio State. Michigan won anyway, 7-3.

Nov. 22, 1963

President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade in Dallas, Texas. University President Harlan Hatcher closed the University so students and faculty could join in mourning of the President. Memorial services were held in Hill Auditorium, and the Michigan-Ohio State game scheduled for that Saturday was moved a week.

Nov. 22, 1976

University officials announced that first lady Betty Ford would be given an honorary doctor of law degree at winter commencement exercises. University President Robben Fleming praised her as “exemplifying today’s independent woman, expressing her views honestly and forcefully.”

Nov. 23, 1932

In an informal press conference with President-elect Franklin Roosevelt and House Democratic Leaders, it was announced that hearings on a proposal for legalizing beer would start immediately after Congress convened.

Nov. 23, 1933

The President of the Interfraternity Alumni Council warned fraternity members that their houses faced drastic action by University officials unless they cleaned up the liquor problem.

Nov. 23, 1969

University President Robben Fleming spoke before the University Senate, supporting input from students in University decision making, but not among the final decision makers.

Nov. 23, 1974

More than 50 members of the Graduate Employees Organization rallied on the steps of the Rackham Building before a collective bargaining session to protest the University’s stance on the union’s economic demands.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Tyler Boersen.