Oct. 30, 1970

Almost 150 women yelling militant slogans and howling witches’ shrieks marched through Ann Arbor “haunting and hexing” nine symbolic places including University President Robben Fleming’s house, the Law Quad and a pornography store. They chanted, “Beware we warn all mercenary men, we women are rising, we’ll be back again!”

Oct. 30, 1971

A contingent of anti-Vietnam War Veterans released 100 black balloons – each representing 15,000 American and Asian deaths – to the accompaniment of taps during halftime of the Michigan-Indiana football game.

Oct. 30, 1973

University sophomore James Warner, who spent six years in a North Vietnamese prison camp after being shot down in Oct. 1967, spoke to a small crowd at the Modern Language Building about the harsh treatment he received at the hands of his captors.

Oct. 31, 1912

The “long heralded and long-sought after” first issue of The Gargoyle went on sale. The issue contained “shocking exposes of fraternity methods calculated to inspire the coldest shiver in the heart of the boldest freshman.”

Nov. 1, 1947

Nearly 100 students attempted to seal off the West Hall Engineering Arch with cinder blocks as a late Halloween prank, completing three layers. Reports said the police approached and said “I’ll give you exactly two minutes to get out of here. If I find any of you on the streets after two minutes, I’ll run you in for loitering.” When the students did not move, one was arrested. The rest of the students were driven away by security guards wielding fire hoses.

Nov. 1, 1954

The Literary College faculty voted to ask the school to grant severance pay to a professor who was dismissed for refusing to testify before the House Un-American Affairs Committee.

Nov. 2, 1936

In a Daily poll of University faculty members, 10 voted for the Communist Party’s presidential candidate Earl Browder. A University regent said all 10 should be dismissed, while another said, “It is a good thing that we do have some Communists here. It is up to our youth and our intelligent men … to keep our thinking progressive.”

Nov. 2, 1983

A University official said the first steps of divestment from racially segregated South Africa would begin during that month. Sale of the estimated $54 million of stock was approved by the regents in April, and was delayed as officials worked to determine which companies had a substantial number of employees in Michigan – a qualification exempting a stock from divestment.

Nov. 3, 1956

About 30 demonstrators protested the campus visit of Russian officials observing American elections. The Latvian, Lithuanian and Ukrainian students met the Russians in the Michigan Union holding posters proclaiming: “Don’t Deal with Henchman” and “Latvia wants freedom.”

Nov. 3, 1970

The Undergraduate Library was shut down for the sixth bomb threat in four days. The building was evacuated after a caller threatened to detonate a bomb, but no sign of explosives was found.

Nov. 4, 1968

More than 2,000 students rallied on the front lawn of University President Robben Fleming’s home to demand that he end all military research at the University. The protesters also asked that students be given a greater voice in University affairs. Fleming met the students on his porch and said, “All war research has both military and civilian applications.”

Nov. 5, 1943

Family members of former Michigan football star Tom Harmon received a telegram from the War Department stating that for the second time in eight months Harmon was missing in action. Harmon, the “Michigan gridiron immortal,” was stationed with the 449th fighter squadron at an air base in China.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter

Tyler Boersen.