Oct. 16, 1951

The University’s Medical School announced that its incoming freshman class was the largest in the nation with 204 students.

Oct. 16, 1973

Actress Olivia de Havilland told an audience of 600 people at Lydia Mendelsohn Theatre that during the filming of Gone With The Wind, she remembered Clark Gable threatened to quit acting because he was too embarrassed to cry in the scene where he regrets pushing Scarlett down the stairs.

Oct. 16, 1980

University Director of Safety Walt Stevens said a death threat scrawled across a bathroom mirror in the Michigan Union would be “taken seriously until it was found to be otherwise.” University officials believed the note was related to the recent slayings of three women in Ann Arbor.

Oct. 17, 1966

The Senate Assembly approved proposals for the preservation of civil liberties on campus. The proposals were in response to University compliance with a subpoena issued by the House Un-American Activities Committee demanding lists of members of student organizations.

Oct. 17, 1970

In rifling through ROTC files during a 33-hour takeover of North Hall, some demonstrators found a file containing information about themselves. It was mostly filled with newspaper clippings on the activities of Students for a Democratic Society and other radical student groups.

Oct. 18, 1947

University economics Prof. William Haber warned that decontrolling prices would lead inevitably to an increasing number of labor disputes.

Oct. 19, 1972

A small fire burned out a stall in an Angell Hall men’s restroom. Fire investigators said the blaze was intentionally set.

Oct. 20, 1932

Ten minutes after the Michigan Socialist Club opened a bookstand to sell radical literature, Ann Arbor police shut the stand down because of alleged violations of a “city ordinance.” Club officials said police Chief Thomas O’Brien gave them permission to operate the stand, but O’Brien denied ever sanctioning the table.

Oct. 20, 1942

Seven University students relinquished all other extra-curricular posts to accept positions on the war-time Manpower Mobilization Corps Executive Board, which helped to intensify the University’s contribution to the war effort.

Oct. 20, 1960

Dean of Women Deborah Bacon said she was following procedure when she removed two women from Cambridge Hall for violating a regulation stating that “at no time may a girl have intoxicating beverages in her room, regardless of her age.”

Oct. 20, 1971

Tickets for a Joan Baez concert in Hill Auditorium sold out in six hours. To accommodate a maximum number of her fans, “obstructed view” seats behind her were sold for $1 each.

Oct. 21, 1937

University President Alexander Ruthven helped break up a fight between sophomores and freshman who had turned water hoses on their traditional rivals. The sophomores pulled the pants off of more than 30 freshmen before Ruthven arrived and sent several students to the Dean’s Office.

Oct. 21, 1970

The Office of Student Services set guidelines to bar companies with offices in South Africa from using the University placement services.

Oct. 22, 1932

Artist-in-Residence Robert Frost told young poets that “writing has to be casual.” He suggested aspiring writers should hold down a part-time job so they would not have to rely on income from their creative endeavors.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Tyler Boersen.