EAST LANSING – The play was just about as nice as the weather. And, unfortunately for the Michigan women’s soccer team, so was the result.

The Wolverines lost a 1-0 decision to in-state rival Michigan State on a cold, windy and rainy Friday afternoon in East Lansing.

A goal from Spartan Jenee Witherspoon in the 63rd minute ended Michigan’s season-high six-game unbeaten streak in the regular season finale.

“It was a really choppy game, and we couldn’t get any flow going today,” Michigan coach Debbie Rademacher said.

For Michigan State (4-6 Big Ten, 8-9-1 overall), the game was a must-win — a loss or tie would leave it out of the Big Ten Tournament and end its season. The Wolverines, already with a spot in the tournament, were looking to improve their seeding, with an opportunity to finish as high as third. The loss kept them in the fifth position in the Big Ten standings.

“They were in a desperate situation, and they made it a sloppy game,” senior co-captain Katelin Spencer said.

Both teams struggled with the wet field conditions, committing a combined 34 fouls.

The Spartans generated the game’s first serious offensive chance. A corner kick in the eighth minute led to a dangerous header that senior goalkeeper Megan Tuura punched out of trouble.

But Michigan (4-3-3, 8-6-5) responded, winning three consecutive corners and putting three shots on goal. Neither team could keep consistent offensive pressure, and the game reached halftime scoreless.

The second half featured more opportunities for both teams. The Wolverines almost opened up the scoring when Spencer headed senior striker Judy Coffman’s corner toward the top of the net. Spartan goalkeeper Nicole Galas stayed on the goalline and snagged it out of the air.

The game’s lone goal came at 62:06. Michigan State’s Lauren Sinacola found space at the top of the 18-yard box and unloaded a shot that soared over a lunging Tuura, hit the crossbar and bounced straight down, where Witherspoon tapped the ball in.

Michigan controlled possession for the majority of the remainder of the game, but couldn’t find the tying marker.

“They were good at putting numbers behind the ball, especially after the goal,” Rademacher said.

The visitors put a scare into the crowd with a few dangerous opportunities as time wound down. Off a Michigan free kick, junior midfielder Katie Bohard found herself with the ball in open space on the left side of the penalty box. A Spartan defender partially deflected her shot and the ball hit harmlessly off the outside of the post and out-of-bounds.

Then, luck almost intervened to send the game to overtime. Sophomore midfielder Katie Miler made a run down the right side of the field with less than half a minute left. She sent a cross to the box that tailed toward the net and almost caught Galas out of position. But Galas punched the ball out of trouble, and the fat lady could officially sing.

After the disappointing loss, Michigan must recover quickly. It will face fourth-seeded Indiana on Thursday in State College for the first round of the Big Ten Tournament. Michigan lost its only meeting with the Hoosiers 2-1 on Oct. 1, but is ready to step up its play for the tournament.

“When we play teams of a higher caliber, we play up to the competition,” Spencer said.

Michigan: 0
Michigan State: 1