While April showers might bring May flowers, they have brought the Michigan softball team nothing but frustration and disappointment.

So far this season, foul weather has kept the Wolverines from several games, including the playoff rounds of the Florida State Seminole Invitational in early March, a tournament in which Michigan had a shot at the championship.

Over the weekend, the Wolverines once again got fired up for a big weekend matchup against Big Ten rival Iowa – a team that has consistently challenged the Wolverines for the top spot in the conference.

But Mother Nature had other plans.

On Friday, she decided to bring back March’s chilly rain, and on Saturday, she even managed to conjure up a few snowflakes, reminding everyone of the February weather that they presumed to have passed.

Friday’s opener against Iowa was first set back an hour, and then moved to Saturday along with the second game of the series. But the weather did not improve for the doubleheader, and Michigan was once again left hanging with the games completely cancelled as opposed to rescheduled for later in the season.

“We were pretty upset,” senior co-captain Meghan Doe said. “These were big games, and we were ready for them. We really wanted to play, so when we heard that we weren’t going to get to, we were disappointed.”

These cancellations are not only significant in that the Wolverines lost more valuable playing time. They also missed a game against a Big Ten team that could make the hunt for the Big Ten championship an even greater challenge.

Doe believes that Michigan needs to focus on its upcoming games, rather than concerning itself with rankings.

“I’m not sure how (the cancellation of the Iowa games) will affect how we’re doing in the Big Ten,” she said. “We have to win the next four games, and that’s what we’re worried about right now. We’ll have to see how the other teams did this weekend, but we’re more concerned about how we play this week.”

Tomorrow should bring a doubleheader at home against Central Michigan, although weather reports indicate that today might bring more snow to Ann Arbor. Later in the week, the Wolverines travel to Madison for games Friday and Saturday against Wisconsin.

With Michigan’s erratic schedule, one might guess that the team’s momentum would be hindered. But Doe has faith in the Wolverines’ progress thus far.

“I think that we’ll be able to pick up momentum again for this week,” Doe said. “We’ve had a few good practices this weekend, and we’ve been hitting pretty well, so it should be okay.”