Yesterday morning, a water main on Murfin Avenue between Hubbard Street and Duffield Drive burst, shutting down traffic for a block and forcing detours for many University bus routes.

ROB MIGRIN / Daily

Bitsy Lamb, a manager for Parking and Transportation Services, said she expects that bus service will be affected at least through the rest of today.

Lamb said that though most buses will be making detours and some bus routes won’t be running at all, students shouldn’t be concerned because buses will still service all stops.

“We’re not missing any stops, we’re covering them with something,” she said. “There is some coverage. There is just not what (students) are expecting so they just have to re-group.”

Lamb said the Bursley-Baits bus route, which runs from Central Campus to Bursley Hall, will take a detour on Plymouth Road to avoid the shut-down block. The Northwood Express route, which runs between Northwood Housing and Central Campus, won’t be running at all. Instead, those buses will run on the Diag-to-Diag route, which takes students between the North Campus and Central Campus Diags.

Lamb said students should expect delays, especially during rush hour.

“We will be probably pretty negatively affected at rush hour time on Maiden Lane,” she said. “It’s very congested, it’s a one lane in, one lane out. It’s pretty ugly at rush hour, and we’re just going to make it worse.”

Engineering graduate student Yi Qing Qu felt the effects of the slow down yesterday while he was waiting at the C.C. Little bus stop. Qu said he was originally planning to go to Pierpont Commons, but was surprised when the bus driver announced that there was going to be a detour.

“They dropped us off near Glen Avenue, and we had to take the Diag-to-Diag bus to get to Pierpont,” Qu said. “I was lucky, but if I was going to class I would have been late.”

Cary Tedder, a senior in the School of Music, Theatre and Dance, witnessed the chaotic aftermath of the water main break on Murfin Avenue around 12:30 p.m. after he got out of class.

“Water was running all the way down Murfin,” Tedder said. “It was gushing and there were tons of police cars in the street. Now all of the bus routes are longer and more complicated.”

DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said Plant Operations has been working to repair the main since it broke yesterday. She said she expects the main to be fixed sometime today at the earliest.

Brown added that the break has been isolated, and there’s no impact on the water service to any of the surrounding buildings.

— Daily Staff Reporter Lara Zade contributed to this report.