All right, Wolverine Nation. It’s time for me to hit you with some truthbombs.

You’ve sucked as fans this year.

From chanting “We Want Mallett!” during the first half of the Oregon game to leaving before the end of the same contest to booing Michigan coach Lloyd Carr during the pre-game introductions of the Notre Dame game – it’s been flat-out embarrassing.

Your performance against Oregon even led to the following statement:

“I don’t really care what fans think,” captain Mike Hart said.

I’m sure he didn’t mean it, and he later qualified his statement, but provoking that kind of a reaction from a beloved leader like Hart can’t feel good.

The breaking point came during the first quarter of the Minnesota game. Not only did few of you show up before the end of the period, but when you did, it was quietly and clad mostly in un-intimidating blue.

This Saturday, do the Michigan coaches, players and fellow fans a favor. Wear maize.

It’s really not that hard, and it makes a big difference.

Have you seen the crowds at Penn State, Illinois and Wisconsin? How much more better does it look when an entire stadium is dressed in one color?

I’m sure you have. But still, Michigan Stadium is almost never covered in maize.

Why not?

1. You don’t wear maize because it’s going to be cold and your sweatshirt is blue. This is easy to fix. First, you can just deal with it. You’ll probably be drunk for the game anyway, and the beer buzz combined with the adrenaline will warm you. Second, and more likely, you can simply pull a maize T-shirt over your sweatshirt. It’s not tough to do, and it makes a noticeable difference. And since it’s tough to pull a T-shirt over a jacket, just wear multiple layers of shirts or sweatshirts and pull some maize over the top one.

2. You don’t wear maize because you spent a lot of money on a jersey, and you want to wear it to the game. Three words here: suck it up. For one game, against Ohio State, at the end of a storied season, at this senior class’ last game, just do it. I guarantee they’d rather you wear maize than their names on your back. Wear maize. You’ll be OK. I promise. For those of you who really need to show off your fancy threads, you can wear your jersey under your maize T-shirt, and take the T-shirt off before and after the game.

3. You don’t wear maize because you don’t have a maize T-shirt, sweatshirt or jacket. If this is the story, you’re pathetic. Seriously. You go to the University of Michigan, and you don’t have a single article of maize clothing? I strongly suggest you buy one. Trust me, it’ll come in handy. And if you don’t have one and don’t want to spend the $10 to get one, borrow one from your friend. I’m sure somebody you know has an extra. If you don’t have any friends, I have about five (shirts – not friends), you can e-mail me (my e-mail address is at the end of this column) and I’ll give you one.

A common complaint about the incoming luxury boxes is they will destroy the fan unity that currently exists because the stadium is one giant bowl.

My question: What unity?

Prove you have some Saturday.