Picture this.

You’re in the semifinals of the Michigan Amateur Championship

You are down three through eight holes.

Who would you want caddying for you? Tiger Woods? Phil Mickelson? Your coach?

Or how about your father?

It turns out, the latter was exactly what Michigan senior Christian Vozza needed in the Michigan Amateur Championship in June. The father-son combo caught fire on the back nine of the match-play semifinals, where Vozza posted five birdies in a seven-hole stretch to edge Michigan State’s Jimmy Chestnut, 2-and-1.

“We were just in the zone together,” Vozza said. “We were high-fiving, smiling and having a good time out there. It couldn’t have been better.”

But it did get better. The come-from-behind surge proved to be the defining moment of the tournament, and Vozza went on to claim the championship in the final round. Vozza attributed the victory to his style of play and the support he received.

“My goal going into the tournament was to attack the golf course.” Vozza said. “I knew that if I stayed aggressive, I would have a good chance to make a lot of birdies. Plus, having my father there really helped my confidence.”

It was fitting that Vozza’s father was there for his son’s greatest victory to date. After all, Vozza’s father first introduced his son to the game of golf many years ago.

“When I was barely old enough to walk, my dad would take my brother and I out on the course and tell us to just have fun,” Vozza said. “He was always very supportive and wanted us to enjoy the game.”

His father’s support extended beyond simply taking Christian golfing as a youth.

“My whole family has been incredible in supporting me throughout my golfing career,” Vozza said. “They have traveled to watch me play tournaments in Oregon, California and Puerto Rico. I think my dad has only missed two tournaments of mine in four years playing here. It’s been incredible.”

With such support, it should come as no surprise that Vozza has enjoyed such incredible results. Vozza has led the Wolverines in overall scoring average in each of the past two seasons, with a career-best of 74.72 last year. But he may recently have accomplished his greatest achievement in his time at Michigan. Two weekends back, at the Wolverine Intercollegiate, Vozza took first place overall and helped Michigan post its first tournament victory in more than four years. It was a decisive win for the Wolverines, and they coasted to an 11-shot win over the 15-team field. In fact, the title was impressive enough for Golfweek Magazine to tab Michigan the “men’s college golf team of the week.”

“I know that winning the Amateur this past summer really gave me a boost of confidence and motivated me to do well this year.” Vozza said. “It’s an honor to win, but it’s really all about the team and how we do together. It was nice for us to finally get a win.”

When Vozza walked off the course that weekend with an individual title in hand, he had helped two teams to victory – the Wolverines and his parents. Vozza got to share his first collegiate victory with the teammates that took him golfing when he was a child and watched him take home the Amateur Championship last summer. Greeted with smiles of joy and pride, Vozza was congratulated by Mom and Dad.