Michigan’s women’s club volleyball team entered its first tournament in Ann Arbor in pain.

Two of the team’s key players, Katie Gorman and Meredith Hasse, were unable to play in the Michigan Tournament, which was held in the Intramural building.

Gorman suffered an ankle injury during the beginning of the tournament and Hasse, who normally starts in the middle, was out due to illness.

“One of our best players got hurt and the other one was sick,” club member Mary Altman said. “But that did not effect us that much. Both of the two teams did really well in their first tournament of the year.”

Michigan dressed two squads for the tournament, the Maize team and the Blue team.

Adding to the teams’ difficulties, both Michigan teams had to play without their coach, Scott Mattson, at times because it was difficult for him to be there for both the Maize and Blue teams.

Despite being short-handed, the two teams persevered and advanced far in the tournament that began at 9 a.m. Saturday.

Michigan’s Blue team faired well during pool play. It entered the tournament unsure of what kind of success they could achieve and exited with some knowledge of what kind of team they have.

The Blue team qualified for the quarterfinals. Although the team lost that match to Grand Valley State – which later won the tournament against James Madison – it was happy with its performance.

The Maize team also had a solid performance.

The Maize team advanced part the uarterfinals with a tightly battled game against Michigan State. It lost its match with James Madison in the semifinals, but played well throughout the tournament.

“There were a lot of competitive teams at the tournament,” Altman said. “I believe that the teams did really well.”

Altman and the rest of the volleyball club will head to Indiana on Dec. 7 for its next tournament action.