I wanted to give you a chance, Gov. Rick Snyder. I really did. Your campaign as “One Tough Nerd” made me chuckle. You seemed to be more moderate than your Republican counterparts. You were a fresh face in a dated crowd. But something about you just wasn’t right. Something about you was off, so I proceeded to vote for your opponent Virg Bernero. When you won, I told myself, “Whatever. I’m not too upset. He seems capable. Let’s give him a chance.” Today, I realize I was wrong to do so. I have lost all faith in you, Governor Snyder. Sadly, it only took less than two months for me to feel this way.

It first started with your tax modifications. Logic would say that, in order to balance the budget, you would need to raise taxes. But I don’t think you thought this through properly. You proceeded to raise taxes for the poor and our senior citizens, which left me confused. Where’s the logic in that? Shouldn’t those who can actually afford to pay taxes be the ones to pay taxes? I’m not saying we should raise taxes on the rich or middle class by dramatic measures, but don’t you think it’s a bit bizarre to make those who are suffering suffer even more?

Then came the budget cuts. I knew they would be harsh like you promised in your campaign, but even with that anticipation in mind, I was left appalled. Due to your massive cuts to education, Detroit Public Schools is closing 70 of its 142 schools next school year. Classroom sizes will swell to 60 students a class (that is, if kids actually attend school in those horrible conditions). Your logic is that charter schools will come in to fill the void, but can you really expect this to happen in a matter of months? DPS has been in a state of chaos for years. Instead of trying to fix the problem, you decide to cut education, which in turn will lead to more kids not attending schools, higher crime rates and a lower graduation rate — if it can go any lower. I know this is cliché, but if we want to fix our future, shouldn’t the one thing we invest in be education? According to you, apparently not.

And, I found out you passed the Financial Manager Bill? This law gives you the power to remove elected local officials from power and place your own staff in their place. Also, when you exercise this power, you will be able to nullify collective bargaining agreements. Are you even watching what’s going on in Wisconsin? Don’t you think that this bill gives you too much of an iron fist? Weren’t you complaining about President Barack Obama abusing his power? Where’s the respect for the democratic process? It’s one thing to provide struggling towns with financial aid, financial experts and suggest alternative measures. It’s another thing entirely to sidestep the electoral process and dictate to a town you don’t live in.

Enough is enough, Snyder. I am sick and tired of your destruction of our state. You have gone too far. It’s only been two months, but I think a little bit of change is in order — whether that is in your mindset as governor, the mindset of the people who have been content with your failure or maybe even a change in who should be in the governor’s chair. I don’t have all the answers to our state’s problems — they are complex and confusing issues that don’t have perfect answers. But I do know that the solutions and methods you have used to address our problems, thus far, make about as much sense as burning our state to the ground with kerosene and Zippo lighters. Actually, that might be a bit less destructive at this point.

Tobias Franz is an Engineering sophomore.