I am a sophomore at the Ross School of Business and this letter is in reference to James Somers’s Statement story about the Ross School of Business (Why the B-School is overrated, 02/07/07). In the article, facts about the reputation and integrity of the business school were distorted and misrepresented. I hope to clarify those lies.

First, let me clarify that the required skill set to become a CEO cannot be acquired in a single semester – the amount of time that Somers spent at the Ross School – at any business school in the world.

Somers mentions that “business professors are by definition not quite right for their jobs.” Although I haven’t interacted with too many professors during my five months at the B-School, I have been fascinated by the few that I have. Questioning the qualifications and integrity of the professors at the B-School is simply ludicrous. Each and every professor is world-renowned for their research and writing. For instance, Prof. C.K. Prahalad has authored texts that are taught to accountants and business students in India. To say that “most have no place at all in the actual world of business” is a lie.

The courses at the B-School can be described in just one word – awesome. By the end of this semester I will have completed six courses at the B-School, and I can say with confidence that I have already acquired the basic analytical, communication, IT and writing skills to succeed in the business world. Somers contends that “students learn material over an entire semester that would take 45 minutes in an LSA econometrics class” and “students spend three weeks discovering that flipping heads with a quarter three times in a row has a probability of 1 in 8.” These are again lies. If they were true, I would have dropped out as well.

Freshmen and prospective B-School students should not go by Somers’ word regarding the admissions process either. A high grade point average is not the only criterion to get in. I know students with GPAs of 3.8 and 3.9 who were rejected and some with GPAs of 3.0 and 3.2 who did make it. While the B-School emphasizes the importance of a high GPA, it also considers writing samples, ability to cope with pressure and involvement on campus outside of the classroom. Most of the courses at the B-School are worth three credits and involve a lot of commitment outside of class in the form of completing group assignments, brainstorming case studies and collecting data for surveys. The admissions committee helps gauge whether or not you would be able to take on this challenge.

Somers asks, “So what really propels Ross into the highest realms of college ranking?” The answer is simple. It is the combination of exceptional professors and faculty, advanced technology and facilities, well-designed courses and talented students that make the Ross School a champion.

Rishi Marwaha is a Business sophomore.