He is a three-time winner of the “Bass Player of the Year” award from Bass Player magazine, an honor never bestowed to another musician more than once. He is a multi-Grammy Award winner. He is Victor Wooten, and his namesake band will be playing with The Stanley Clarke band at The Ark tomorrow at 7 p.m.

The Victor Wooten Band & The Stanley Clarke Band

Tomorrow at 7 p.m.
The Ark
Sold Out

Expect nothing short of jazz magic.

“The energy of the audience just lifts you up,” Wooten said in a recent interview with the Daily. “Sometimes that special energy gets squeezed out of a recording session.”

Though audiences can expect some songs off of Wooten’s recently re-released A Show Of Hands 15, it’s rare to find two similar performances of the same song in jazz — a live reproduction is sure to be unique.

However, be cautious — though Wooten is a jazz bassist, he isn’t just confined to jazz. While he will play what made him famous, don’t rule out influences from other genres.

“Music is bigger than any one style,” he said. “Back in the ’60s, we listened to everything. You could hear all types of music, even on the same station. You could hear James Brown next to The Beatles next to Led Zeppelin. Nowadays, things are all segmented.”

Music has deep roots in the Wooten family, so it’s no wonder that Victor Wooten eventually picked up the bass. He once learned an entirely new instrument — the fiddle — just to land a gig at Busch Gardens, and has been known to play both the double bass and the cello.

“I was born into the perfect situation, being the youngest of five brothers,” Wooten said. “My brothers knew that I was going to be a bass player because that’s what they needed in the band.”

Stanley Clarke, who will play after Wooten at the Ark on Saturday, has a long history with the storied bassist. Through their careers, the two have collaborated often, and with bassist Marcus Miller, they released Thunder in 2008.

Having first met when Wooten was nine years old, Clarke and Wooten re-met each other a few years later as the young Wooten was traveling and honing his skills.

“He remembered meeting my brothers and me when we were kids. That was a little connection,” Wooten said.

While Wooten has played with a variety of musicians including Béla Fleck, Chick Corea and the Dave Matthews Band, he has expressed interest in continuing to work with other artists.

“There are many musicians that I hope, one day, to get to cross paths with in all walks of life,” Wooten said. “I could name some jazz guys, there are some rock people — I love Steve Vai as a rock guitarist. There’s Robert Randolph, a great steel guitar player I’d never played with — that would be wonderful.”

The concert tomorrow, then, should be a spectacle to behold.

“I always tell people when they come see us play that they’re going to hear something and see something that they’ve never seen before,” Wooten said.

With two of the most talented bass players in history, how could they not?