The annual production of “The Vagina Monologues” returned to campus Thursday and Friday to explore feminism and female sexuality.

Held in Rackham Auditorium on Thursday and at the Trotter Multicultural Center on Friday, the University’s chapter of Students for Choice put on the critically acclaimed show for the third time. Sponsored by LSA Student Government, Central Student Government and Student Life, the event featured 18 performances by University students.

Created by playwright Eve Ensler in 1996, “The Vagina Monologues” is a play based on interviews with real women talking about their experiences and views on their sexuality. It is composed of short scenes dealing with an array of topics such as masturbation, orgasms, birth, sex, love and rape.

LSA junior Kayla Smith directed the event and said she made an effort to include topics about diversity in the show, which the original monologues lacked.

“Recently, the Vagina Monologues has fallen under criticism for its lack of diversity,” Smith said. “Our cast and crew acknowledge these criticisms and think that dialogues surrounding issues of intersectionality are productive and important to have.”

Intersectionality refers to the intersections of identities such as race and gender.

In keeping with the original format of “The Vagina Monologues,” students took turns performing their versions of popular monologues, including “My Angry Vagina,” “My Vagina was My Village,” “Reclaiming Cunt” and “My Revolution Begins in the Body.” Students also performed “They Beat the Girl Out of My Boy,” a new monologue that explores the identities and difficulties of transgender life.

LSA senior Wendy Cortes performed the role of a sex worker in the monologue “The Woman Who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy.” Cortes said she was thrilled to be part of an event that opened discussions on a stigmatized subject.

“I hope everyone’s awareness changes and that they can understand issues impacting women’s sexuality and identities,” she said. “People should realize that despite everything, women are still powerful and independent.”

Business sophomore Edith Zhang performed the monologue “My Vagina Was My Village,” which focuses on the experiences of Bosnian women subjected to rape. Zhang said the monologues provide a powerful voice to all women.

“Some of the monologues are very comedic, such as ‘My Angry Vagina,’ but others bring out compelling issues,” she said. “As a society, we definitely need to be more aware of them.”

LSA junior Jayla Johnson, another performer in the show, said she believes the event is a great way to introduce these topics to students in a more intimate setting.

“It’s a taboo topic but events like these bring awareness to the student population, especially since it includes students from all kinds of backgrounds,” she said.

LSA junior Rhani Franklin, the show’s producer, said she hoped the event will continue at the University, in part because 90 percent of the show’s proceeds go to the SafeHouse Center. The center provides services to women experiencing domestic violence and sexual assault in Washtenaw County. The other 10 percent supports the V-Day campaign, which aims to end violence against girls and women.

“Through our events at the University, we are certainly contributing for a greater cause,” she said.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.