John Beilein was upset at Spike Albrecht during practice Wednesday. As the scout team once again took it to the first team, mimicking the defensive tendencies of Detroit, the junior guard had the opportunity to shoot a 3-pointer.

Before the Michigan men’s basketball team’s 71-62 victory over the Titans on Thursday, Albrecht hadn’t yet made a triple on the season. After shooting 42 percent from deep spanning his first two campaigns in Ann Arbor, the guard started the new season 0-for-4 from behind the arc while passing up multiple other opportunities to let it fly.

So Coach Beilein made it clear in practice to Albrecht that if he was given the chance against Detroit, he had better not pass it up.

“We’re practicing what’s it’s going to be like in a game,” he said. “You can’t turn them down.”

Flash forward to Thursday, when Albrecht found himself open with the ball 25 feet away from the basket with Michigan up by six. For someone who hadn’t made a 3-pointer all season, Albrecht might’ve been anxious.

Albrecht had already attempted three shots and had missed all of them. It would have been reasonable for him to be anxious about taking another shot.

“Sometimes you’re out there, you’re a little tentative,” Albrecht said. “But that’s the one thing the coaches always say: ‘If you’re open, shoot it. Have confidence in yourself.’ ”

After substituting into the game for freshman forward Kameron Chatman with 18:53 left in the second half, he immediately made an impact. Initially trailing by four when he came in the game, Albrecht assisted on three baskets, including two straight scores by junior guard Caris LeVert, who after initially struggling in the game — 2-for-6 shooting, four first-half points — suddenly had a personal 10-0 run to give Michigan a nine-point lead.

But even as Michigan tried to extend its lead to double digits, the Titans fought back, making a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to two scores.

While LeVert took over the game for Michigan, he couldn’t do it all. With the lead at six with 10:28 remaining, Albrecht found himself with an uncontested, albeit long, 3-pointer in front of him.

And so he let it fly. The ball hit nothing but net as Albrecht kept his hand up longer than usual on the bomb from deep. But don’t misinterpret Albrecht’s motion; he meant no disrespect.

“I would say that was relief,” he said. “One of the things I’ve been working on with my shot — I haven’t been holding my follow-through as long. I’ve been waiting till it hits the rim. So I held it a bit extra long. I think it was a little bit of relief when I made one.”

Having been relieved of some pressure, Albrecht was the backbone of Michigan’s “veteran” lineup that played for most of the second half. Compiling 32 minutes in the game, Albrecht was still on the floor with 1:27 as the Wolverines finally pulled away from Detroit, thanks to a 13-1 run.

With the trio of LeVert, sophomore guard Derrick Walton Jr. and sophomore forward Zak Irvin combining for 26 of 29 of Michigan’s final points, Albrecht once again found himself on the same side of the court as the shot clock ran down. Unlike before, when Albrecht had to be willed to shoot the ball, he pulled up this time with no doubt in mind.

And the result was the same, Albrecht’s second 3-pointer of the game and season — the game’s dagger.