This fall marks the beginning of the triennial amendment process for the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

The statement, which outlines the expectations of each University student, is altered every three years to address overlooked issues and to update its content in an effort to reflect developments within the University and on campus. The process encourages student involvement, and staff and faculty are also eligible to contribute proposals.

Upon enrolling in the University, each student agrees to comply with and accept the statement and its guidelines. Most Universities have similar codes of conduct, but the University’s is unique because it was drafted by students.

The document, which was written in 1995, holds students accountable for acts of misconduct, such as hazing or using other students’ Mcards. In addition to listing possible violations and their repercussions, the statement outlines procedures for resolution and appeals.

The amending process is led by the Student Relations Advisory Committee and is supported by the Office of Student Conflict Resolution. OSCR program manager Aniesha Mitchell said the main purpose of the document, and the amending process, is to preserve the rights of students.

Students were asked to enter their amendment requests by Sept. 10 via e-mail to Central Student Government. The submitted proposals will be reviewed by SRAC and sent to E. Royster Harper, the vice president of student affairs, with its recommendations before University President Mary Sue Coleman makes the final decision on changes to the policy.

As program manager, Mitchell is directly involved with development of the statement and actively meets with students who have been accused of violating the code. She also aids in informing them of their rights and offering resolution options.

Mitchell said updating the document is important to meet the needs of a constantly changing University.

“(The framers of the statement) recognized that as a culture and as a community we would evolve over time, and so they wanted to make sure that the statement meets the needs of the community,” she said. “And so they created this amendment process.”

Mitchell referred to a proposal she received this year regarding cyber bullying, noting that it’s indicative of the need to amend and maintain the policy to keep up with how the student body is changing.

In addition to submitting proposals, students are encouraged to attend community dialogues where potential amendments will be presented and discussed. The meetings will be held Sept. 19 and 27 and a Google Plus Hangout will serve as a virtual meeting place for those unable to attend.