Robert Neumann, previously a University Police lieutenant, has been selected as the University of Michigan Police Department’s next chief. The appointment is effective immediately.

According to a Tuesday press release, Neumann was chosen from a pool of more than 150 applicants. He has served with the UMPD since 1985 and was one of the original six officers to first be sworn into the force in 1990. He became a lieutenant in 1999.

Neumann graduated from the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy as well as Eastern Michigan University’s School of Police Staff and Command. He is also a Civil Air patrol captain serving as personnel officer and professional development officer with the Willow Run Composite Squadron and serves on the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority Accident Review Board.

“I am humbled and honored to accept this opportunity,” Neumann said in a statement. “Having worked in the department since before it became a sworn police agency, I’ve participated in an incredible transformation of safety and security services at the University. This is a wonderful community in which to work.”

In a statement, Eddie Washington Jr., executive director of the Division of Public Safety and Security, lauded Neumann’s contributions to the UMPD.

“Bob’s years of successful experience in working with many campus leaders, students and other law enforcement agencies as well as managing several units within the UMPD, contributed to his strong candidacy for this position,” Washington said. “I admire that Bob consistently provides proven integrity and fairness to every situation.”

Neumann succeeds current Chief Joe Piersante, who was named chief operations officer for the Division of Public Safety and Security in September.

Piersante continued to serve in the role of chief until his successor’s appointment. He had served as interim executive director of the department twice, which was still named the Department of Public Safety at the time.

Piersante’s time as chief was also marked by issues of communication between the University’s safety and security agencies. In January 2013, these concerns led to the creation of the Department of Public Safety and Security, an overarching public safety agency that oversees campus police, housing security and hospital security, among other safety-related University units.

To search for Piersante’s successor, the University enlisted The Spelman & Johnson Group, a higher education consulting firm, to assist in the process.

Applicants were reviewed beginning in October by a 17-member committee that included Timothy Lynch, University general counsel; Dean of Students Laura Blake Jones and LSA junior Emily Lustig, chair of the Central Student Government’s Commission of Campus Safety.