The University’s chapters of the American Medical Association and the American Pharmacy Association hosted the first-ever medical fair on campus at the Michigan Union yesterday.

The collaborative event featured presentations about health issues and offered free blood pressure tests as well as tests for blood glucose and HIV. There were also several informational booths and stations set up in the Anderson Room, one of which tested how long attendees could jump-rope and another quizzed students on how much sugar common foods contain.

Medical School student Justin Shaya, co-chair of the event, said the event was geared toward the entire community, not just students. He added that the event also built a connection between the College of Pharmacy and the Medical School.

“I think it was a great opportunity for the med school and the pharmacy school to work together,” he said. “We have very similar interests and we both want to impact the student populations and raise awareness.”

The event was the brain-child of Pharmacy student Christina Yang, who came up with the idea while campaigning for president of the University’s chapter of the American Pharmacists Association.

Yang added that she would like to involve the School of Dentistry, the School of Public Health and the School of Nursing in future medical fairs.

“If we could just get a lot of the health-care professional or health-orientated students involved, that would be really great,” she said.

LSA sophomore Lauren Ripley ran a table at the event for Alpha Phi Omega — a national co-ed service fraternity on campus — that encouraged students to sign up to be organ donors. Ripley said most of the undergraduate students who attended were pre-med.

According to Shaya, the fair was advertised with flyers on campus and e-mails to student groups, efforts which produced an attendance of about 50 to 100 people. He said he thought most students were likely unaware of the event but emphasized that yesterday was the pilot and organizers are looking to improve the fair in coming years.

Yang, who will assume the office of APhA president in May, said the event set a precedent for future medical fairs.

“Nothing like this had ever happened before,” she said. “I think just reaching out and taking the initial step was a success.”

Pharmacy School student Joshua Lee said the event would be better attended if held in an area with more foot traffic. He said most students don’t plan to attend events like the medical fair, and they are more often attended “spontaneously.”

Correction appended: An earlier version of this article misidentified the organization that Pharmacy student Christina Yang will become president of in May.