The glitz and glamour of Hollywood is starting to shine in Michigan thanks to tax incentives from the state for the film industry, and University officials say they’re ready to put the campus in the spotlight.

University officials recently announced the formation of a film office to coordinate movies being filmed on campus. Demand for access to the University for filming has increased since Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed legislation offering about a 40-percent refundable tax credit for movie productions spending at least $50,000 in Michigan.

To complement the state’s efforts, the University is looking to help film studios by allowing them to film on campus. However, Lee Doyle, who heads the new film office, said she doesn’t expect the University to make much of a profit off filming.

“The University is a nonprofit entity so we have to be mindful that we’re not in it for profit for everything we do,” she said.

Doyle said that while the University isn’t in it for the money, it will have the costs associated with filming on campus covered by film producers.

Instead of concentrating on profits, the office is focusing on attracting film producers by building a strong reputation for Ann Arbor as a great place to make movies and portraying the University as a strong partner to the industry.

“The state of Michigan is trying to get a foothold in a new industry, so part of the important work for that to happen is that filmmakers have to come here, like it, and then tell their friends,” Doyle said.

Doyle said the impetus for the creation of the office was an influx of requests from studios.

“We were starting to see a lot of inquiries,” Doyle said. “Without a focal point, it becomes really complicated to do this type of work.”

The office currently consists of Doyle, a film liaison and an individual from facilities and operations. The three have been working together for eight months, but only recently decided they needed an official film office to handle requests.

Several films have used the University as a backdrop in the past. During spring break, “Betty Anne Waters” was filmed on campus. The movie, which stars Hilary Swank, was filmed in different buildings on campus, including Angell Hall, Pierpont Commons and the Duderstadt Center.

Approximately 600 students participated in the filming — most serving as extras. The University charged about $8,500 for the use of the buildings and other services on campus.

While no other movies are officially filming on campus, Doyle said there have been talks about Danny Glover coming to film a movie.

In order for film producers to gain access to use the University for filming, they must follow certain procedures. First, the studio must submit a copy of the script to the University’s film office, which evaluates whether the film is in conflict with the goals and the ideals of the University.

If the script is accepted, the office then works with the producer and director to see what scenes will be filmed on campus, where on campus they will be filmed and what the office can do to help. Other factors are also considered, including whether the actors will need additional security and whether stunts will be performed.

Doyle stressed that although the University is happy to help the film industry, students’ education must come first.

“It is important (for) film producers to know that our primary purpose is education, but we are happy to lend our services to film producers,” she said.

Doyle said that the office would not allow filming during a class, and that it will try to schedule filming during the summer months and vacations.