The University has chosen Latham and Watkins — an international law firm — and Vermont-based campus safety consulting firm Margolis Healy & Associates to perform external reviews of the University in light of a six-month delay in reporting the alleged possession of child pornography by former University of Michigan Health System resident Stephen Jenson.

Latham and Watkins was chosen by University President Mary Sue Coleman and University regent Denise Ilitch (D–Bingham Farms) to conduct the external review. Chicago-based attorney Zachary Fardon will lead the review, University spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham confirmed in an interview on Friday.

Cunningham said Latham and Watkins will have three main objectives in their review — to conduct an independent investigation of the case’s facts, administer advice to the University on internal controls and procedures and assist with any corrective actions that may be taken.

Last May, a medical resident found Jenson’s USB drive in a computer in the University Hospital’s residents’ lounge. After finding the drive missing from the computer the next day, she reported her findings to her supervisor, the attending physician, who notified the chair of the Medical School Department Compliance Officers.

After subsequently being notified of the delay, on Dec. 3, Coleman ordered the Office of University Audits to conduct an internal review regarding the incident. Shortly after the results of the audit were released, the University’s Board of Regents ordered an external review of the delay.

Jenson was arrested in December by University Police and was arraigned on four counts of possession of child pornography. Later in February, prosecutors dropped the state charges amid federal charges against Jenson for possessing and receiving 97 images and four videos of “suspected child pornography.”

Cunningham said Margolis Healy & Associates was chosen for the organization’s expertise in safety and security needs of higher education institutions. The firm — whose managing partners, Dr. Gary Margolis and Steven Healy, are former campus police chiefs — will assess the University’s campus security operations, including the Department of Public Safety and Hospital Security, who were directly involved in the Jenson case delay.

“That will focus on helping these units better understand each other as they work together to keep our university community safe,” Cunningham wrote in another e-mail Saturday.

In the statement, Cunningham also said Margolis Healy & Associates will conduct a “national benchmarking survey.”

“We want to know how our approach to campus security — especially on a campus that also has a major medical center — lines up with peer universities with medical centers,” Cunningham said.

Cunningham said she had not seen a work plan for the review, but believes Latham and Watkins attorneys will re-interview many of the people who were questioned in the internal review. She added that the University has compiled the necessary reports and materials for the firm to review.

According to Cunningham, the review by Latham and Watkins has a spending cap of $395,000, but the review could cost less. The initial proposal by Margolis Healy & Associates priced their assessment at $105,000, but Cunningham said the amount is subject to change.

Ilitch and representatives from Latham and Watkins did not return calls for comment this weekend.

Gary Margolis referred all comment on his firm’s involvement in the review to the University’s Office of Public Affairs.

“Typically, we don’t comment on the work we do for clients,” Margolis said.

Cunningham acknowledged that the University is still under review by the U.S. Department of Education for the delay, but said there are no new developments in the their review. Officials from the department declined to comment because the investigation is ongoing.