University donor and alum Bertram Askwith passed away at the age of 104 Monday night, according to a University press release.

During his years as an undergraduate, Askwith served as an editor for The Michigan Daily. He majored in economics with a minor in journalism, and graduated from the University in 1931.

Askwith began his business, Campus Coach Lines — a company that transported students who were New York natives home for holidays and school breaks — as an undergraduate student. He started the business after a railroad strike in 1928 left many students struggling to find ways home from campus.

From 2000 to 2008, Askwith served as the vice chair of the Michigan Difference campaign. He also created the Askwith Fund for Innovation in Asthma and Allergy Management in the Center for Managing Chronic Disease within the School of Public Health, which focuses on creating new techniques to aid those affected by asthma or allergies. Askwith, himself, donated to the fund.

Askwith established the Benny Friedman Fellowship in Sports for Knight-Wallace Fellows and the Mary Sue Coleman Endowed Fund for the Raoul Wallenberg Fellowship.

Askwith also donated funds to the University for the creation of study spaces at Shapiro Library, such as Bert’s Cafe, Askwith Media Library and Bert’s Study Lounge.

A memorial service for Askwith was held June 4 at 11:00 a.m. at Riverside Memorial Chapel in New York City.