TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) That Florida State was the first team to beat Duke this season was a big surprise. That the top-ranked Blue Devils did themselves in with poor free-throw shooting was a shock.

Monte Cummings scored with 7.4 seconds left as the Seminoles rallied from a four-point deficit in the final minute to beat Duke 77-76 yesterday, snapping the defending national champion”s 22-game winning streak and leaving Division I without an unbeaten team.

“It took every bit of the 40 minutes to get the win,” said Florida State coach Steve Robinson, whose team had a 13-point lead with eight minutes to play. “Once we got behind I told them we”ve just got to make some shots.”

Duke (1-1 Atlantic Coast Conference, 12-1 overall) missed a chance for the victory when Mike Dunleavy”s tip of a miss by Jason Williams rimmed out at the buzzer. But the Blue Devils had hurt themselves with the uncharacteristically poor free-throw shooting, going 2-for-8 over the final 1:30 and only 7-for-19 in the game.

Williams entered the game shooting 69.1 percent from the line and Duke was shooting 69.3 percent as a team.

Florida State, which had closed to 76-75 on Antwuan Dixon”s 3-pointer with 28 seconds left, went to Cummings a 25-year-old Army veteran for its final play.

“I was knocking them down in the second half, so I felt good about it,” said the 6-foot-4 Cummings, who got past Williams when he tried to draw a charge, then went baseline to the basket.