In a statement released on Thursday, the University of Michigan Health System announced that it would no longer use live dogs in its Advanced Trauma and Life Support courses at the University’s Medical School.

The decision comes after the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine heavily criticized UMHS for the practice and filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Agriculture arguing that Dr. Richard Burney, a Medical School professor, misled a University committee in order to use live animals in his course.

UMHS has now decided to use only simulated models for its training, like the TraumaMan System – an artificial human system that allows users to practice surgical procedures.

The UMHS statement released cited a recommendation from an internal committee as the reason for the change.

“The decision comes from a recommendation by the Health System’s Graduate Medical Education Committee after a review of simulators that can be used to train medical professionals in trauma procedures,” the statement said.

The statement also said UMHS always carefully considers the educational benefit against the resources required when evaluating a project or course.

“In all of its educational endeavors, careful attention is given to matching the optimal learning tools and settings to trainees’ needs — including simulation methods through the Medical School’s advanced simulation center, where students, physicians-in-training and nurses learn using mannequins, computer-based simulations and virtual trainers,” the statement said.

UMHS officials declined further comment on Friday when details about the policy change were sought.

—–

Click here to read the Daily’s past coverage of this issue.