The University of Michigan Health System announced today that it has appointed a new chief information officer of the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers.

Sue Schade, formerly the CIO of Brigham and Women’s Hospital — an affiliate of the Harvard University Medical School — will take the position as top technical officer on Nov. 1.

Schade served CIO at Brigham and Women’s for 12 years, and has worked in health care information technology for 25 years, according to UMHS. Before her position at Bringham and Women’s, Schade worked at Chicago-based Advocate Health Care, a large network of health care providers and organizations.

Schade noted in a statement that the academic setting of UMHS and the organization’s goals for information technology are significant reasons why she accepted the job offer.

“I’m pleased to be joining this premier health care system and highly regarded academic medical center,” Schade said. “Its mission and agenda for an integrated health care system was a big attraction for me.”

Schade joins UMHS at a critical time for its IT operations, with the recent launch of MiChart, a new information technology system that aims to computerize patient records as required by the Affordable Care Act.

Doug Strong, CEO of the University’s Hospitals and Health Centers, said in a statement that Schade’s past work will be a valuable asset to UMHS in its work with MiChart and other systems.

“Sue comes from an organization that is a leader in health care information technology where she has played a significant leadership role in improving patient care with electronic information,” Strong said. “We are very pleased to be able to bring her experiences and leadership capabilities to the U-M Health System.”

In an e-mail to UMHS employees, Strong thanked outgoing interim CIO Marilyn Lanzon, noting that her work was essential in the organization’s move to MiChart.

“Her skills and expertise have been critical during this transition,” Strong wrote.