Mosher-Jordan Residence Hall will be the first residence hall to undergo building-wide renovation and restoration as part of the Residential Life Initiatives program. The University Board of Regents approved the $44 million project during its meeting last week.

The renovations will make significant improvements to student rooms and create new spaces — such as a Community Learning Center — to increase interaction between students while studying and socializing.

Construction on Mosher-Jordan is slated to begin in the spring of 2006. Director Housing Public Affairs Alan Levy said the Mosher-Jordan for completion of the renovations is the fall of 2007.

RLI is considering heritage buildings in the Hill Area for the first series of residence hall renovations. The next project will most likely be Stockwell Residence Hall, according to Levy.

Heritage buildings are historically and architecturally significant buildings on campus, according to Levy. He added that Mosher-Jordan was selected as the first residence hall after a campus-wide facility audit.

Built in 1930, Mosher-Jordan is in need of infrastructure updates, Levy said. After the renovations, the hall will be equipped with air conditioning and wireless high-speed Internet access. The building will also see upgrades in new plumbing, heating, fire detection, accessibility and bathroom facilities.

“We want the building to be restored to its original grandeur,” Levy said. “When the students come back (after the renovations), they will be wowed.”

LSA sophomore Chris Ebert, who lived in Mosher-Jordan his freshman year, agreed that the residence hall needs to be updated.

“It’s pretty dilapidated. A lot of stuff in our room was broken,” Ebert said.

The Regents appointed Goody Clancy & Associates to lead the design plan. Levy said the firm was brought in because it had a significant amount of experience with historical preservation.

“We wanted to bring in someone who is sensitive to the current architecture,” Levy said.

Originally designed in the Gothic-style, Mosher-Jordan will mainly see updates to its interior. One major exterior change will be the removal of the current loading dock in the front of the building. Levy said they plan to replace it with a “grand entrance.”

Engineering sophomore Katherine Adler said she was glad that most of the changes were internal.

“Most of the beauty is on the outside,” Adler said. “So (the renovations) won’t destroy that.”

Currently Mosher-Jordan houses around 500 students, and that will change little after the renovation, Levy said.