A male student was robbed at gunpoint at about midnight Friday, police said.

The victim was walking alone on the 500 block of Thompson Street when three men approached him. One was carrying a black handgun.

The men took the student’s money and cell phone.

The victim was uninjured and ran back to his dorm, where he called the Department of Public Safety.

The officers who arrived at the scene could not determine where the perpetrators had gone or their identities.

The Department of Public Safety was also unable to track the suspect scent because the canine unit was off-duty Friday. No arrests have been made in connection with the robbery.

Two weekends ago, two armed robberies occurred near campus on South Forest and Catherine streets. Both involved a handgun, but they were not linked, police told the Daily in January.

DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said the incidents are not connected to a string of unarmed robberies last summer. The summer robberies stopped when the suspects involved were apprehended and charged.

In 2004, the last year for which DPS has crime statistics, four robberies that involved incidents of intimidation were reported. One occurred in a residence hall.

“We’re fortunate we don’t have this happen very often,” Brown said.

Brown reminded students to remain vigilant, especially when walking alone after dark. She added students should to know where the blue light emergency phones are located if they need help.