The University has settled a lawsuit filed by Marlin Air, the local charter airline company involved in the Survival Flight crash last year that left six dead, according to documents released prior to Thursday’s Board of Regents’ monthly meeting.

A flight carrying four members of the University’s Survival Flight organ transplant team and two Marlin Air pilots crashed in Lake Michigan on June 4, 2007. It was carrying a pair of lungs to a 50-year-old patient at the University Hospital.

The University terminated its contract with the Belleville-based company a month after the crash, though the contract didn’t expire until Sept. 2009.

The lawsuit, filed Dec. 5, sought more than $1 million for wrongful termination and an unspecified amount for “irreparable damages” to Marlin Air’s business caused by the University’s decision to sever ties with the company.

The Regents’ meeting documents, released Monday, said: “Settlement was reached between the parties and the case is concluded.”

No further details of the settlement were included.

Katie Vloet, a spokeswoman for the University Health System, acknowledged that a deal had been reached, but wouldn’t disclose the terms of the agreement or when it occurred.

She also wouldn’t say whether the University was satisfied with the terms of the agreement or whether details would soon be made public.

She said all aspects of the lawsuit had been resolved.

Marlin Air owner Stuart Dingman declined to comment.

Dingman’s attorney, Scott Erskine, said that while he couldn’t discuss the settlement, he could “confirm that a resolution was reached.”

The University released a statement dated Jan. 14, 2008, about a month after the lawsuit was filed, saying the contract had been terminated to “provide the best care possible to our patients and their families.”

The University’s statement also said: “Marlin Air did not have the ability to provide the services required by our institution.”

At the time of the lawsuit’s filing, Erskine told the Associated Press, “This lawsuit truly pits David v. Goliath.”

Erskine said at the time that the University did not properly terminate the contract, as initial investigations by the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board had revealed no wrongdoing by Marlin Air.

Those investigations are still ongoing.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.