Two University researchers are among a team of 13 scientists from across the country that will receive an $18 million, three-year grant from the Stand Up to Cancer organization to study breast cancer therapies.

The two researchers involved in the project are Max Wicha, director of the University’s Comprehensive Cancer Center, and Arul Chinnaiyan, director of the Michigan Center for Translational Pathology. A major focus of their research will be studying cancer stem cells in order to develop new therapies to improve treatment results for patients.

Stand Up to Cancer’s primary objective is to accelerate the course of cancer research and apply these findings in the treatment of patients.

According to the organization’s website, “Stand Up To Cancer is founded on the belief that there is now sufficient knowledge of the basic science of cancer and that technologies are available to allow the focused practical application and proximal translation of even more basic science knowledge to patients with cancer.”

Seventy percent of Stand Up to Cancer’s funds goes to projects called “Dream Teams,” like the one in which the University researchers are participating. Stand Up to Cancer’s scientific partner, the American Association for Cancer Research, is responsible for administering the projects’ funding.