With its 11th win in the 21-year history of the Blood Battle, the University of Michigan defeated Ohio State University with a final score of 1,984 pints to 1,474 pints. Support from the campus community, local businesses and leaders and organizers helped to not only defeat a rival, but also to save lives.

Though the University of Michigan trailed going into the second week, the Michigan Union drives were instrumental in the eventual success of the Blood Battle, according to LSA junior Kate Papazian, a co-chair of the Alpha Phi Omega Blood Drive. The University dominated the last week of the blood drive.

“We set the goal pretty high just to give us something to strive for,” Papazian said. “We met our goal almost every day.”

For the first time in the history of the Blood Battle, the bone marrow drive, sponsored by University Students Against Cancer, was incorporated into the blood drive and proved to be a success, said LSA senior Anita Gupta, a USAC senior advisor.

Gupta said 531 people joined the bone marrow registry. With a shortage of minority bone marrow, 100 minorities were included in that number, she added.

“If we get the chance to save even one life then it is all worth it,” Gupta said. “I thank APO in letting us collaborate with them during their blood battle because with their help, we were able to get such a great turnout.”

The success of the blood drive proved to be twofold – the large number of first time donors and the backing of local businesses and the campus community, said LSA sophomore Lauren Schmidt, co-chair of the Alpha Phi Omega Blood Drive.

“The Blood Battle took a lot of work behind the scenes, but we had a tremendous response from the community, which helped get the word out,” Schmidt said. “It was so great to see so many people come out to save lives and help defeat our rival.”

Organizers of the blood drive began planning it as early as May and worked consistently up until the event.

“The fact that we did so well really says a lot about the people that attend and work for this university,” Papazian said.

Blood Battle totals

University of Michigan – 1,984 pints

The Ohio State University – 1,474 pints